Sportsman Flyer Board Tracker Replica Build

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by brett7777, Aug 27, 2011.

1. brett7777

brett7777 Member

Wasn't sure where to post this thread. I looked in Whizzers & Antique & it seemed to be all Whizzers, & also this build is new so I guess it's not antique. Mods please move it if Im in the wrong place - thanks.
    Im in Auckland, New Zealand, & Ive never seen a replica Board Tracker here. There are a few retro looking bicycles around, & a few motorized bicycles, but no board tracker replicas that I know of. And no suppliers of old school parts.
    So I will have to get most of the parts shipped from the US to New Zealand. It looks like I maybe able to get 2.125" white tyres here, & I can get standard stuff like mountain bike rims.
    I don't weld, but I have basic mechanical skills.
    So I have decided to get a Sportsman Flyer frame & in frame fuel tank. This will be the framework for my build.
    I don't know anything much about bicycles, or engine kits, so it will all be a learning curve, & I have many questions. I have done bobbers before but this is all new.
    At the moment I'm waiting for Sportsman Flyer to do the frame & in frame tank for me, & I'm gathering parts like motor, seat, etc in the meantime while Im waiting. I also have to find wheels, springer or leaf fork, & so on.
    I may have some real newbie questions so I hope y'all can be patient with a newb.

2. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

One year ago I was a noob- right now I have two bikes for sale and four awaiting parts that I designed. You've come to the right place.
    the Old Sgt.

3. brett7777

brett7777 Member

Good to hear. Thanks Sgt.

4. brett7777

brett7777 Member

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  5. brett7777

brett7777 Member

I asked somewhere else & was told the springer forks sold on ebay are prone to failure. Both the monark repops, & the schwinn style repops.
    Does anyone know where you can buy reproduction springer forks for a reasonable price, that aren't prone to failure?

6. brett7777

brett7777 Member

Ok, have found a source for the forks (thanks to the member who pm'd me), now need to know:
    When looking for springer forks to go on a Worksman INB frame, which size does it take? Large- 28.6mm (fits 25.4mm stems) or Small- 25.4mm (fits 22.2mm stems) ?

7. brett7777

brett7777 Member

ok, found this out, they take the smaller size.

8. brett7777

brett7777 Member

I seem to mainly answer my own posts, but here goes anyway.
    Got the tank today. So I a have a seat, tank, & Chinese 2 stroke. Waiting on the frame now.
    I want to do the tank & frame in black, with a gold decal, & gold pinstriping, like this Reading.
    Gonna use white tyres tho, so it might look more like the other bike in the pic

Attached Files:

9. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

Bloody impressive! Looking forward to the build itself. That's the Sportsman tank, eh? Ought to consider one (frame and tank) for myself...
    the Old Sgt.

10. PatrickW

PatrickW Staff Member

Brett..This guy does Beautiful Work. He is well worth studying...not just glancing over.

If you are looking for the finest custom front forks made, do a search for John Brain...I did one for you and came up with:

Http://www.bikerodnkustom3.homestead.com/brainfork.html

Altho, this showcases mostly his 'chopper' front forks', that is not all he does. He makes a fantastic front suspension fork for anything...Look over his examples:

bikerodnkustom3.homestead.com/brain fork.html

And there are more if you will google him.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  11. brett7777

brett7777 Member

cool. thanks.

12. brett7777

brett7777 Member

Im doin the frame, tank, & toolbox in satin black.
    Here's the tank.
    The plan is for grips,pedals & tyres to be white.

Attached Files:

13. brett7777

brett7777 Member

tumbleweed blows past............ :)

14. brett7777

brett7777 Member

currently at a standstill.
    headset supplied by Sportsman Flyer didnt have a fork crown race in the set.
    The springer forks I bought need one.
    went to local bike shop, they said the fork crown race is only available in a set, so they would have to order in.
    gonna try the other bike shop that is lacing my wheels, tommorow, to see if they have a spare one.
    i think the moral of the story is:
    make sure you get a full headset !
    I put the seat on, so at least I got something done on it today.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  15. brett7777

brett7777 Member

got a fork crown race.
    the fork bracket of the generic springer fork, sits too high on the steerer tube. when you push it down further it sits at an angle, even when you loosen up the springer parts. so the engineer is making me a spacer to sit between the fork bracket & the crown race/washer.

Attached Files:

16. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

I eventually want to go with a springer fork on my Worksman. I'm going to watch this thread regarding the modification you have to do to make it fit right.

17. brett7777

brett7777 Member

Ok RedBaronX, here it is, machined outta stainless by the local engineer. 1 " ID, 35mm OD, 18mm high

Attached Files: