Sportsman Flyer Build

Discussion in '4-Stroke Engines' started by Tom from Rubicon, Jun 6, 2016.

1. This started here, (The trigger is pulled, 79cc Predator and purchased 5/21/16 Sportsman Flyer loop frame).
    But that was before I made the commitment to build one right.
    So far:
    Sportsman Flyer Drop Loop frame (Black).
    79cc predator engine.
    Mikuni 19mm carb.
    Manifold parts are in house now.
    Monark II springer fork.
    26" front wheel with Sturmey Archer drum brake.
    26 rear free wheel, Sturmey Archer single gear cassette. (on order)
    EZ-Q matic transmission for 79cc Predator. With custom mounting plate that I made from .250" 6061 T6 aluminum made in my machine shop. Nice!
    3 piece sealed bearing crankset, Italian moped cranks, and 25 tooth chain sprocket.
    Wald steel fenders. (in house)
    To do the build I have built a bike stand that mounts to the chain stays @ 36" high. just like the one I worked with at a Schwinn Shop in the late 60's and early 70's
    Got a call from Speedy Metals, aluminum is in for the engine cradle. (Picked up order 6/7/16)
    Still haven't got the 4mm stainless to fabricate the tie in plate that attaches the head to the lower top tube.
    (Caveat)
    Things may get deleted to make a more cohesive thread.
    Any and all responses, or links to resources that carry this project forward in a spirit that advances our hobby/passion are welcome.
    Regards,
    Tom

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016

2. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

Hope to see her up and running soon!

Tom from Rubicon likes this.
  3. Soon is a relative term bakaneko, with my tendency to do most of my shop work on weekends.
    The biggest task will be to fabricate a gas tank. I also like to allocate time for malt beverages.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  4. Having picked up the aluminum from Speedy Metals New Berlin, Wi to create an engine cradle today, next is making a pattern of the cradle.
    I still have to complete the bike stand. Photos as soon as I can.

5. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

Not sure what size gas tank you are looking for but there is a 5L motorized gas tank on eBay for $65 with $18 shipping. It is red with a decal but you can probably just paint over it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/49cc-66cc-8...819c6097f:g:evAAAOSw9NxTwraD&vxp=mtr#viTabs_0

6. bakaneko look at the tanks on this link http://sportsmanflyer.com/
    This is what I want to fabricate. My TIG welder will finally get some use.

7. Frankfort MB's

Frankfort MB's Well-Known Member

I love Tig welding.... I wasn't confident making my tank so I paid someone too do something I could have done:(
    Had too weld up the leaks since it held water like a screen door and still have a small leak at the bottom but I couldn't get it too stop so it will be alright;)

8. Frankfort,
    I am OK at MIG but for a gas tank a MB buddy at work will be enlisted. He has been a pro welder for at least 20 yrs.
    I just finished up building a weld fixture for Caterpillar that my buddy welded up the base for. On his team he is #2 only to his team leader. He tipped me off to needing a tank of Argon/Helium (gold gas) to TIG aluminum.
    Tom

9. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

Hey, Tom. I am curious about folks that make their own gas tank. I assume you guys are buying pressure valve gas caps to account for the vacuum pressure when gas is drained from the tank. Or, are you guys hardy enough to make you own. :eek:

10. Frankfort MB's

If you buy vented gas cap it should have a bung, the bung is what you weld too the tank... I'm decent at doing custom stuff but not making my own materials lol

11. CustomMotoredBicycles sells the one I will use.

12. Wald black steel fenders and Sturmey Archer single speed free wheel came in the mail 6/11/16.
    Today bike stand gets finished, chain stay clamp style.

13. Bung? According to my dictionary, a bung is a stopper for a bung hole in a cask or barrel. I do get what you refer to.
    It will have to be made of aluminum. I got the slosh proofing figured out as the Company I work for fabricates a variety of fuel tanks for the likes of CNH and Cat.

14. Frankfort MB's

I've always called it a bung, it's a weld-in bottom peice of the gas cap (what the gas cap screws into)

15. Could be called something worse :)

16. Got home from work today, and after a few malt beverages went to my home machine shop.

The first of two bike stands will be done tomorrow. It is a 26" high chain stay clamper-
    for Custom Motored Bicycles.
    After seeing Lynn working from the floor and wanting a taller one for myself.
    Labor cost for two is just about the same or less than making a single prototype. And besides.
    Lynn has been kind enough to hire Peterson Precision to do sprocket mods.
    Once her bike stand is done tomorrow the one for my Sportsman Flyer build should be completed Friday.
    Hang in there, photos are forth coming.

17. upload_2016-6-16_18-39-35.png
    This is the 26 incher for CustomMotoredBicycles.com. This stand is good for 2cycle builds (light weight).
    I have one in the works to carry the Sportsman Flyer frame in the photo.
    Lynn wanted one locking wheel, all four do. The whole assembly Loctite'd.
    If further stability is required, I will through bolt the joints.
    If a close up of the frame clamp is desired just say so.
    Sorry about the clutter. (Caveat) The background includes a air gun.

18. upload_2016-6-19_8-23-55.png
    This is my 38" high bike stand. All four wheels lock.
    Forumite "bakaneko" and I visited Lynn of CustomMoteredBicycles.com Saturday
    I took delivery of a EZ Q-matic transmission for 79cc Predator, 56 tooth 7075 t6 rear sprocket,
    OCC 32mm sprocket adapter for free wheel hub, and a package of #41 drive chain.
    The real challenge comes next. Designing and making a Sportsman style engine cradle.

19. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

We never told Lynn to retry her 79cc Predator after you flipped that engine kill switch. LOL. Yeah, that mounting systems looks very secure but complicated. How are you going to handle an offset if you need one again? or, are you going to measure out the exact offset into the mount or the hub adaptor? I worked on the bike a bit yesterday and reattached one of the tensioners with a more secure mounting. Feels good now.