springer fork

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by ren, Sep 6, 2008.

1. ren

ren Guest

I have a 24" 07 NE5 Whizzer. My questions, is there a springer fork that is a direct bolt on for this bike? I would like the type with the two verticle springs but the single horizontle spring would be ok. Also what about front brake mounting issues at the hub and headlight mounting, would they be fabricated by myself on any aftermarket fork?

Thanks for any input

Got my mods finished, Will post info and pics soon.

2. Springer for 24"

Hi Ren, everything I told the guy with the 99 applies to you. Your frame, forks, and the rest of the bike are the same as the 26 EXCEPT fenders and the chrome braces, wheels, tires, tubes, and rim-strips.

You WILL need to figure out how to mount the Pork-chop opn that front brake, as there will be no mount on any other fork.

3. ren

ren Guest

Thanks Mike, I'll see what I can find.
  4. ocscully

ocscully Member

5. JE

JE Guest

If you're going to use the monark Springer make sure you double up the bottom pivots and gusset the top braket. Those forks are made for a BICYCLE with no motor and Will bend the first time out if you don't beef them up.I've seen two whizzer that this has happened to.
  6. ren

ren Guest

I do like the look of this fork, can you show me a sketch of what your talking about beefing up?

Thanks guys
  7. DougC

DougC Guest

I don't know about beefing them up for Whizzer use, but there are threads here about the Monark forks, if you search. They have "issues" you should know before buying.

They look nice, but (in all likelihood) are not built for hard use at all.
    I still use mine because the frame I built places most of the weight (~65%) on the rear wheel.
    On a conventional-frame bicycle you would be putting more weight on the front end.
  8. JE

JE Guest

The top bracket that the springs bolt into will start to bend. The Original Monark springers used thicker Metal than the Aftermarket ones. The way I saw the two that got bent get fixed was welding Three Triangle Gussets Where the Top bracket goes from the steer tube and drops down to the top Spring mount.They welded one gusset on each end and one in the middle. then doubled up and welded together two of the bottom pivots where the wheel bolt to
  9. lobsterboyx

lobsterboyx Guest

ive had the repop monark forks on my bike, and i have to tell you, they just arent up to quality standards. if you are going to run the stock front brake, it takes some work to get it to fit and work correctly.

here is the bike with the monark forks on it.

they are poorly made, but they look just great. im saving them for a normal pedal powered project.

now, because i like to live on the wild side, i decided to switch to a vintage fork and delete the front brake.(combined with a faulty rear coaster brake, the bike is fun as ****) this fork is off a western flyer x53 bike by the murray company.

its very heavy duty and has a great mount for the headlight. i picked it up for about 10 bucks

10. ren

ren Guest

Maybe this isn't going to be as simple as I thought. Thanks for the heads up on the Monarch fork and its short comings. I also like the looks of the Western Flyer springer. Is it a direct fit on the 07 Whizzer frame, and where might I find one?

Thanks guys
  11. lobsterboyx

lobsterboyx Guest

12. ren

ren Guest

Thanks Lobster, I'll do some looking.
  13. jbcruisin

jbcruisin Member

springer forks

This is why this forum's great. I looked at those Monarch forks & thought I'm buying a set. Then I read the reviews & changed my mind. Thanks guys.
  14. lobsterboyx

lobsterboyx Guest

i actually went to the guys house who is selling the monark forks, he was a really nice guy and was very forthcoming with information. when he asked me what i was going to use it for, he said "we dont like to have people use these on motorbikes" so i thought that was a little interesting.

again, dont get me wrong, they can be made to work, but there are other options that are easier / just as cool.
  15. DougC

DougC Guest

I don't think that the repro Monarks are defective, just that they are reproductions of a vintage part. They're made for an obsolete wheel width, and they aren't intended for hard use.

And I really doubt that any other springer types are really very strong either, if they are modern repros (like these from Pyramid) or vintage parts.

Additionally, with just about any vintage design,,, -the amount of suspension pressure is not adjustable, there is no rebound dampening at all (the adjustment of which is critical for good handling) and parts to rebuild these forks are generally not available.

------ ​

If you want a strong suspended fork, the ONLY thing to use is to spend $200-$300 for so for some decent MTB forks.
  16. Irish John

Irish John Guest

Yeah Doug, I don't know about the Monark but the Schwwinn Deluxe 7 in Australia comes with a springer that has V-brakes on it and I have to have a good front brake. I put a locnut on the end of the bolt through the spring so it cam't ever come undone and kill because when that happens it all folds under the frame and you go face first into the asphalt. The forks work well on bumps and the bike is steel and heavy with a Honda GXH50. It doesn't need dampening - there isn't any discernable rebound.
    Sadly it's not available as an after market part but I have seen a springer available with V-brake bosses although from where I can't remember. I can get V-brake bosses or better still disc brake holders welded onto the fork using stainless and then polishing back so it looks OK. It's not very costly but it baffles me that manufacturers don't offer it as standard. That is what I will do because a coaster brake is of no practical use to a person above the age of 5 years or even to a 3 year old going downhill.
    In Australia all bikes must be sold with 2 independent brakes but even Electra get around this by adding a cheap clip on caliper front brake that is about as useless as any coaster. At least Schwinn offer a decent front brake on their springer but it comes at a price of $820.