Sprocket screws in the way of the brake lever arm

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by aquielisunari, Oct 26, 2015.

1. aquielisunari

aquielisunari Member

The wheel of my bike can't spin freely because the brake lever arm hits the head of the bolts. Do you have a solution? I could get some kind of V brake for a 4" tire but that gets expensive. I could get some flatter bolts that use an allen wrench. Been looking but I haven't come across any. I am looking for a low cost or free solution. I've already put in about $1000 on this build so my budget is non-existent. LINKS are greatly appreciated.

2. butre

butre Well-Known Member

bend the arm so it clears. that's something you run into with all coaster brake builds

3. aquielisunari

aquielisunari Member

That's what I tried first(my apologies for not mentioning that)but it won't bend at the right spot and I don't have a vice. Although I am still trying to get it to bend in the right spot. Thank you for the suggestion, and letting me know I'm not in this boat by myself or that I did something wrong. Glad this isn't a unique problem.

4. butre

butre Well-Known Member

you don't need a proper vise, just vise grips will work. while holding the arm with vise grips, set the arm against something that isn't going anywhere, like a curb, a steel bumper, or a section of i-beam and start hammering away.