Sprocket Size Question

Fulltimer

Local time
5:25 PM
I think this question is in the right section.

If and when I get my Dyno Roadster or similar bike I'll turn my trike over to my wife or sell it. If I give it to the wife I will want to make it pedal real easy. She is kind of wimpy!

She wouldn't be interested in speed. She would just be riding around in our 55+ community. Ease of peddling is what she would want. So what would I change the rear sprocket to for the easiest peddling? Right now it has a 44 tooth sprocket, I think. The trike is in a shop getting the rear wheels trued or I would go out and count the teeth to be sure.

Terry

EDIT: Forgot to add that the motor will be taken off the trike.

Last edited:
After looking at your trike pics, The 44 toothed sprocket has nothing to do with the pedal drive on your trike.

If it is still hard to pedal, after you remove the engine, a smaller sprocket on the pedal cranks will be the simplest way to make it pedal easier.

The pedal sprocket is what I was referring to as a 44t. So, changing that to a smaller one would do the trick, right?

Terry

I changed my pedal sprocket from a 44 to a 36 on my stretch,,,
now, I can pedal while pulling the trailer and grandkids easily :)
(I always pedal when on a sidewalk, and motor while on pavement ;))

Terry
they also make rear freewheels 18t, 20t and 22t. going bigger here will be cheapest trick. remember when you had 18 speed bike (example) middle gears always were easiest to peddal. Might be hard to match chain gear/cranks to bearings and sometimes if it one piece it is easiest you can pull crank and loosen retain nut on chain wheel if it is square axle and bottle on cranks and chain gear you will need to buy complete set.

Either way I always found rear tire was easiest remedy, when kids had issue peddaling to keep up with everyone else. :)

David

Here in Thailand we have alot of Bicycles used to sell wares. Most are ridden by ladies and because they usually ride 80% of day to make life simpler they increased the size of rear sprocket.

Same as all our push 3 wheel carts, bicycle Tuk-Tuk, and 3 wheeled trykes.

David

Back