CVT Sprocket to Nuvinci

dont know about the left side but you can transfer the power to the other right and use the main sprocket.... you need a sick bike parts jack-shaft kit. Best way to go by far.... wouldn't even try to rig something up. The nuvinci hub is designed to have the power transferred through the freewheel on the right side.... you may cause serious damage to your hub doing it any other way.

here is the link to what you need
http://sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29

Last edited:
Sprocket to nuvinvi

I am not trying to use the Nuvinci in the drive train. Just trying to connect as if it were a single speed. I have use the jackshaft you refer to. it is great but the custmer wants simple for this build.

NuVinci hybrid drive...

The problem with driving the hub on the left hand side is that the torque will be applied in the direction that would "unthread" the left hand cover. There are retainers there to keep things together, but applying strong torque pulses in the direction that will loosen the cover is not a good thing. Effectively, think of it as an impact driver for the cover...each of the piston pulses will be doing it's best to break that cover free. If the cover loosens enough, the drive can malfunction.

There are ways to better retain the cover, such as drilling a hole in the thread location and putting a set screw in that hole, contacting both the aluminum hub shell and the steel cover...but short of doing that, any decent amount of torque from an internal combustion engine should not be applied in that direction to the LH cover.

Clearly. I think the real issue is whether there ia a version that is built to take input on the left side. It does not need to be a freewheel. I have a freewheel on my gearbox output.

To....I think...., answer my own question, from the Fallbrook Technologies website it looks like the hub is available only to be driven clockwise with a counter-clockwise freewheel.

Some sprockets will bolt to disk rotor mount

If the nuvinci hub has a standard six bolt disk mount, there are chain sprockets that will bolt right to it.
A tophat adapter allows you to run the sprocket and disk rotor on your Nuvi hub.
Sorry, but I have no experience with belt drive.

...but we want to put the power through the transmission- not just to the back wheel.

Back