Sproket mounting possible on old cruiser with a brake lock?

T

Thejman

:???: Well I snagged a old 1989 Murray cruiser type bike from a garage sale for $6 Yes $6! It has white wall tires(back needs new tube) looks pretty neat. Need less to say it was rusted so I'm in the process of painting it. But I have still not figured out what to do with the rear wheel as it has the brake lever to stop it when you peddle backwards. I take it I'm going to need to mount front brakes then?

you should be able to bend brake arm with a vice and pliers... maybe some heat if you have a torch
just make original bends a little sharper and it should be good to go
it needs to clear sprocket and bolts, thats all :)

I couldn't do this because I stacked 5 rubber gaskets on outside to clear tire...so I removed brake shoes from back hub :LOL: , still going, with 300+ miles 8) 8) 8)

a vise & hammer, make 2 offset bends for the clearance, it's pretty hard to hurt a coaster brake arm, so you can keep trying til you get it right.

You guys make it sound easy, I had to use a 36" pipe wrench/vice/lotsa swear words. My brake arm is 3/16" thick! 'Course I'm not as young as I used to be. :???:

Bikeguy Joe said:
You guys make it sound easy, I had to use a 36" pipe wrench/vice/lotsa swear words. My brake arm is 3/8" thick! 'Course I'm not as young as I used to be. :???:

o god this sounds fun lol

Back