Sprokets

tankaray

Local time
11:26 AM
So the rumor I heard was that for every tooth you loose on the sproket you can go about one mph faster. True or not true? I am thinking of buying a king 34t sproket to try and gain a little top end speed. The next question I have is about sproket installation. I bought my bike built and it was not put together as well as should have been. thats another story so Im down to my last fix. The chain sometimes hits the tire. I think it needs to be moved out maybe 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch to prevent this from happening. It will rip my rear tire apart over time other wise. So when I install the new sproket I might order how do I acheive this. I have the smooshed style install where the sproket is bolted directly to the spokes My engine is an 80cc two stoke I dont know what the brand is. I can post pics if need be. Cant wait to hear what your opinions are.

Last edited:
Yes, but as the top end speed goes up, acceleration and hill-climbing ability go down.

Take a look here for a good way to mount the sprocket (and some very nice sprockets, too...)

Last edited:
HI,

If your sprocket is offset you can flip it over for more clearance or you could add washers to space it out....

Andrew

HI,

If your sprocket is offset you can flip it over for more clearance or you could add washers to space it out....

Andrew
How do you like my 35 tooth offset sprockets?
It is flippable...

Download the ratio calculator off this site and you will know exactly
It is more like 0.8 MPH per tooth
which over 9 teeth from a stock 44 tooth makes a difference

44 tooth = 27.9 MPH
35 tooth = 35 MPH at 6500 RPM and 26" tires
So the rumor I heard was that for every tooth you loose on the sproket you can go about one mph faster. True or not true?

Attachments

• 35ToothSprocket.jpg
    35ToothSprocket.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Not bad looking.....what's it say on the sprocket?....I can read the 35T part....

Andrew

Tankaray,
"The chain sometimes hits the tire. I think it needs to be moved out maybe 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch to prevent this from happening. It will rip my rear tire apart over time other wise. So when I install the new sproket I might order how do I acheive this."
IF your sprocket and engine are aligned properly and spin true to begin with there is another way to get a little more chain space.
You don't mention if this is a single speed hub or not, but if it is and you can true a wheel, just dish it over to the right a touch. Start by loosening all the spokes on the LEFT side, then tighten all the ones on the RIGHT side. Small increments to start off, say, 1/2 turn at a time. That will pull the RIM/TIRE to the right, giving you more chain clearance. If you've got hand/rim brakes you'll need to re-align them.
If it's a multi-speed wheel, it's already dished so this won't help.

Thanks for the input everyone I am gonna have to think through all these options and see which one is best for my bike.

Back