SS-X Schwinn Blackout Edition cruiser. First build pics

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by Cordogg, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Cordogg

Cordogg New Member

Here is my Schwinn SSX cruiser I picked out for my first build. Still waiting for my kit to come but so far I've upgraded the bike with a rear rack and a headlight, both in matching black of course. I already love riding this bike and can't wait to put the engine on.

Attached Files:

2. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

What kit are you getting?

3. That's a beauty of a bike! I looked at one last week at my local Schwinn dealer, and almost pulled the trigger. The lack of V-brakes kept me from doing so.

4. Cordogg

Cordogg New Member

I'm getting a kit from blue collar bob to use with the bike.

5. Irish John

Irish John Guest

Fortunately in Australia Schwinn have to sell their bikes with 2 brakes so we get front v-brakes and either rear v-brakes or coaster brakes. The coaster brake is such a pain and about 50 years past its use by date. That is a nice bike and could probably take springer forks. Some springer forks have bosses on them for v-brakes.

6. waylow

waylow Member

any progress on this?

7. Irish John

Irish John Guest

Nice bike but no front brake. My Schwinn's coaster brake slows me down but won't stop the bike but it has front V-brakes as well although they aren't crash hot either. I reckon you could get a black front fork with shockers & a disc brake maybe without spoiling its clean look. Handlebars without brake levers look really weird to me. It looks like it will take a motor nicely though.

8. Cordogg

Cordogg New Member

thanks for all the feedback guys. Yes, I am strongly considering the other brakes just anxious to build and low on funds. I had surgery earlier today so the pics will be up some time later this week.

9. waylow

waylow Member

I also really like this bike, and considered it myself, but the lack of v-brakes kept me from buying it too.
    my new CA-520 is in the mail right now, I am excited. I bet you can hardly wait to get your engine on.

10. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

Hope your OK. Get well soon!!

11. Cordogg

Cordogg New Member

my combo of vicodin and my herbal pain killer are keeping me feeling ok for now. the bike is done, just waiting until I can move more easily to ride it. With 5 external and 4 internal staples in my stomach it's kinda of hard to get around. I will try to post pics later today of the kit installed. I am starting to look at brakes for my bike, I see it has the mounts and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good pair and new rear hub ? Cost is an issue here also.

12. Cordogg

Cordogg New Member

new pics

Here are two pics for now, I will take better ones later this week.

Attached Files:

13. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

Cool! Love the fenderless cruisers with HTs.
    Don't bogart that herbal pain killer! LOL

14. Cordogg

Cordogg New Member

yea fenders are another thing I plan on adding when I have some more $$$$. Thought i'd post a pic of my stomach mod to repair a hernia until I get around to taking more pics of the bike.

Attached Files:

15. waylow

waylow Member

/me pulls his pants up above his bellybutton...
    You crazy kids and your body modifications! if god wanted you to have a pierced stomach, he would have made it that way :grin:

16. Cordogg

Cordogg New Member

I don't know if you're being serious but it's actually called laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair and it's not any type of body piercing. I did have my lip pierced at one point though...

17. waylow

waylow Member

haha, of course I was joking! I have been following the thread. Thats why I had to pull up my daddy-pants to talk about the crazy kids and their body modifications. haha. because i'm not that old yet, and I do have a few piercings. (nothing crazy)

18. RIOT

RIOT Member

beer pong table!!!!!

19. Cordogg

Cordogg New Member

motored bikes and beer pong, what more could a college student ask for?

20. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

I must be getting old, I had to look up "beer pong" @ wikipedia. Looks like alcohol abuse! In that alot of beer gets SPILLED!