Stares and glares: Driving through towns & cities & your experiences.

I mainly ride on the road and when that gets too "hot" to handle with the traffic i go on either the footpath or bicycle tracks,or backstreets.The cops have never been a problem and the ONLY time they took a second glance was cos i was distracted earlier by a groopie and was wearing a cap instead of a bicycle helmet.

whenever i ride my whizzer - people always ask me what it is, they think its some kind of vintage motorbike. a few people say "say! i remeber those from the 40s and 50s, where on earth did you find it" i tell them in hopes that they will get one

when my parents first bought my house in the early 70s, the neighborhood was just a neighborhood, within the last 20 years, there has been an influx of new people moving in to the neighborhood - seemingly they dont like my collection of vintage cars, nor do they like the sound of an un-corked whizzer flying around the hood. one neighbor one day stopped me, a very unlikely person to stop me, i was getting ready for a complaint...

"you have to tell me where you got this thing" we were talking for awhile and i told him if he wanted to give it a try id be more than happy to let him have a go. sure enough he got on my bike with all his fancy clothes, his hat, and shawl (i dont know what its called, but im pretty sure its reserved for religious events only) and took off. he came back and loved it, i gave him all the info he needed to find one and i think that he is getting one soon.

motor bikes make friends!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just today I was out and some guy told me that he has been trying "to catch me" since December. He loved my bike and brought me over to his place to show me his old 1970s Italian moped (in his living room) and invited me over for dinner one day.
So has anyone ever been pulled over and charged?

anyhow I'm in New Orleans which is a city full of morons who like to randomly honk at you when your on your bike and yell stuff. Yeah, like I'm really gonna turn around and look at you when you honk - I'm going 25mph on a freaking bicycle!

Generally NO is a pretty good city to ride in tho. I get a lot of positive reactions from people and the cops more or less leave me alone.

when my parents first bought my house in the early 70s, the neighborhood was just a neighborhood, within the last 20 years, there has been an influx of new people moving in to the neighborhood - seemingly they dont like my collection of vintage cars, nor do they like the sound of an un-corked whizzer flying around the hood. one neighbor one day stopped me, a very unlikely person to stop me, i was getting ready for a complaint...

"you have to tell me where you got this thing" we were talking for awhile and i told him if he wanted to give it a try id be more than happy to let him have a go. sure enough he got on my bike with all his fancy clothes, his hat, and shawl (i dont know what its called, but im pretty sure its reserved for religious events only) and took off. he came back and loved it, i gave him all the info he needed to find one and i think that he is getting one soon.

motor bikes make friends!

It's called a Tallis, actually a lot of orthodox jews wear them all the time...

Great to hear you got someone else hooked of motorized bicycles.

It's funny that you said that motor bikes make friends, I agree.

These city workers stopped next to me the other day,
and they were very excited to see my ride.
They wanted to know if I would make them one too.
I referred them here....
As well, I went to a garage sale the other day, and I was surrounded by folks who asked me a million questions.

I should have a flyer to handout or something.

Last edited:
That's what we need dawgs.
Business cards.....mmmm..
Make a little business card holder on your bike
Load it up when you park your bike.

A guy in a pick up today with the windows rolled down tried to start a conversation at a stop light and no body behind us honked when the lite went green. Driving thru town in a car with the windows rolled up and radio on, you miss all the side streets and new friends to be had. I make friends everywhere i go. My favorite though, are the guys all decked out on their crotch rockets pulling double takes.
I had my bike on the back of my car one day and was filling up at the gas station and was in a hurry. Some guy came over and asked every possible question. The party i was to meet understood my delay (fellow motorbiker)

This was one of the best days of my life and would have been possible with out motorbikes or MBc.http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=7018

i'm always being stopped, followed, waved at, & "saluted"...almost every day, sometimes all day...it's a way of life...love all the stories, thanks :)

That's what we need dawgs.
Business cards.....mmmm..
Make a little business card holder on your bike
Load it up when you park your bike.

next time you ask Tom for stickers, get extra logo-squares...they fit in my wallet just fine & save tons of time :cool:

That's a good point...i'm always pointing to my tank with MBc stickers on it and saying "go there,that'll answer all the rest of your unanswered questions"

One of the days I was testing out my Stingray right down the road from my house this huge jacked pickup drives by real slow (25ish) with a guy hanging half torso out the passenger window staring at me in awe. All I could do was smile. Everybody I actually run into say in a questioning way "thats a bike?"
The guys love it at the local bar too, makes a good conversation piece when we're all outside smoking ciggies.

Back