Start of my 2nd Pusher Build

Discussion in 'Push Trailers' started by KeyWest, Dec 12, 2009.

1. KeyWest

KeyWest Member

Just getting started on this, so far I have a base and a wheel,sproket.What I need still is engine it will be the H.F. 2.5 on sell now.Jackshaft setup and clutch, the drive wheel is 10" mini bike tire the sproket that I have is a 36 tooth.Before I buy the sprockets for the jack shaft my Q is gearing??? Anyone have any tried ratio's that work well? these are what i'am thinking.

Drive output on clutch 10T
    too Jackshaft 14T
    to a 10T jackshaft
    then a 36 T drive wheel

Other then getting some more steel to make the hookup and putting it all togather and ordering the parts and getting the engine I was looking for everyones thoughts on best gearing for this setup. this is what I have so far and there is more pics in my album to come as I work on this Pusher. thanks

Attached Files:

2. KeyWest

KeyWest Member

Hello, Ok everyone I have got the gearing part done, I found a good calculator on the net and found my anwsers.picked up engine at H.F. got the 6.5 for $113.00 it was on sell and got 20% off.Ordered jackshaft kit and clutch on line so it will be here in a week.This week I will be making the hookup part of this project, i will post so pics as I progress,do you guys think one inch square tube will be good enough to secure arm to the pusher? Thanks

3. KeyWest

KeyWest Member

Update 12-16-09

I have the swing arm and pivit points all fitted just need to add some gussets. next will be the Engine bay and drive train. Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

4. Looks like a great trailer,i cant wait to see the engine mounted.

5. KeyWest

KeyWest Member

Update 12-23-09

Hey guys, making progress instead of the 6.5 H.F engine I will use the 2.5 H.F. on this trailer, the 6.5 engine was just too massive for this build.I put the big engine on my mini bike trailer it is better suited for the 6.5 engine.

I added gussets and finished swing arm,today i will get started and introduce the engine to the trailer.Make the mounting brackets and get engine on board, start jackshaft fabrication-install.

first pic bondo, 2nd pic is throttle setup on 6.5 engine Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

6. KeyWest

KeyWest Member

Update 12-28-09

I got a chance to work on may new toy today,almost done check it out.

Attached Files:

7. KeyWest

KeyWest Member

Update 12-31-09 Finished

Hellow everyone,
    I went for my second ride today,This trailer is nice everyone that see's it gives the thumbs up.It is solid handles well, very quiet it has lots of power.I think it need's a better seat I dont like the one that is on thier. Enjoy

Attached Files:

8. KeyWest

KeyWest Member

A couple more pictures

Let me know what you guys think.

Attached Files:

9. 2nd pusher build by Key West

It looks very good to me.
    I can't tell from the photos what you are using for a throttle. I'd also like to know where you got your throttle cable and how long it is.
    Have you experimented with tire pressure yet? Mine needed very little pressure to keep the tire's shape and low pressure helped it absorb bumps in the road.
    Did you keep the 10,14,10,36 sprockets when you decided to use the smaller engine?
    Pushers are the way to go. Post a video if you can.
    Thanks for documenting your build.

10. KeyWest

KeyWest Member

Hello Dennis, for the throttle I used a tandem brake cable to reach the carb.A thumb shifter to control and a brake cable stop at the carb side.My tire pressure is very low with this set up.
    I did keep the grearing the same with a 12 inch tire and I'am happy with the speed, it top's out at about 42 mph, I have my throttle set up so that I can't get to wide open throttle for safty.I really like these pushers you are right!!! they are the way to go. Thanks for looking.

11. Luka

Luka Member

Great build !!

Man, you don't waste any time, do you ?

:)

12. Rgvkid

Rgvkid Member

Hey Key, The build looks great. Been awhile since Ive been on this site. I ended up using my 2.5 on a go kart for my girlfriends 7 yr. old. I degoverned it and it really hauls *** once up to speed. Slow on take off with me on it but thats because theres no assist. On a bike, a couple turns of the pedals will keep the clutch from wearing as fast.

Im gonna look for a mini bike wheel, I've been contimplating on which wheel to use.

Do you have a close up of the throttle linkage on the engine. I mounted the cable tab to the plastic filter cover but have to relocate because it pulls the plastic. I need to make it a more solid mount.

13. KeyWest

KeyWest Member

close up of the throttle linkage on the engine

Hey,Rgvkid
    hope these pics can help.

Attached Files:

14. Rgvkid

Rgvkid Member

Cool Man Thanks. Thats alot easier then how i set mine up. I'll hit you up when i get mine done so we can do a PCH run. Long Beach to the Shake Shake in laguna.

What size chain are you running? My Hillard clutch is for a Number 40 chain.

15. panther

panther New Member

Hey Key West i love this set up for a push trailer this is what i'm looking to make as well. Do you have much jumping around with the tire from all the tork from the motor and have you thought of ever puting a minibike type break on the wheel to help stop.Or do you have disc breaks on your bike. I'm looking at a 6.5hp HF motor or the 8.5hp motor from TSC any thoughts.I am haveing trouble finding a wheel with sprocket on it.Have you heard of anyone useing a sm motorcycle wheel with sprockett for a drive wheel?? Thanks for the information I'm doing lot's of reasearch for my first build. so any information will be great Panther.

16. KeyWest

KeyWest Member

Panther,just go with the 6.5 Hf motor all you need to do is add lead weight to the trailer I have 20 pound weight on mine and it sticks to the ground no hop.I have a double brake one one the trailer drum and back brake. Now mine is degov'ed and it will go 65MPH