starting a MB business in another country?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fletch, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Fletch

Fletch Member

I would really like to move to costa rica or panama, and I've been fantasizing/pondering starting a MB business over there. I figure they have a much higher need for affordable transportation over there... less laws about emissions/etc., ... and I'm assuming there would be little to no competition. What do you guys think? Good idea? Anyone want to come with me ;)?

2. Zev0

Zev0 Member

I dunno, in todays world, I don't believe I would want to live anyplace but the good ole US of A.
  3. hurricane

hurricane Member

Ditto for me,make them here and ship them there .
  4. WhizBangAndy

WhizBangAndy Member

Actually I wouldn't mind going somewhere these are legal and starting up a shop BUT there is a lot of legwork beforehand to be sure that its not only legal BUT you aren't stepping on someone elses toes OR getting in to a situation where you are giving up your $$ to keep going (police, local government, graft, shakedowns, etc.) I have found a few locales that are legal but have yet to set foot in them and see if a legitimate money making venture could be had.

I also think that the USA has its advantages but as long as you follow citizenship rules and don't ex-patriate yourself it would be a rewarding experience. Especially with the $80k exemption you get for overseas income..:toff:
  5. Fletch

Fletch Member

I agree completely. I have been to and read much on Costa Rica and even though it is considered "3rd world"...It is far from it in reality. There is basically little to no violent crime, and petty theft is the biggest. San Jose is the capital and largest city where a shop would be ideal. By law you are not allowed to be employed there, but they welcome new businesses which can employ their citizens. Very friendly people..great culture...They don't even have a military. They are trade partners with the US and China. Very far from Mexico like some people may envision.

Of course there is always going to be gray area in the law and crooked police (in any country). An added bonus would be dual citizenship.