Starting Question

S

SlicerDicer

Here is a strange starting question. Freewheel cassette rear turns freely does not kick start when clutch released. I have no pull starter how do I start the engine?

Please post ideas.. I cannot come up with any reasonable one at the moment other than a freewheel crankset but I really do not want to spend that much on a crankset. Not only that but I have no idea how to do a freewheel crankset.

Are you talking about the freewheel on your pedals side or do you have a frewheeling sprocket on you engine drive??

Dan

no no its a plan I am going to transfer the power from one side to the other. I am just thinking of how to start the bike.

I will most likely remove the pedals from power as they would be useless. I would keep them there to allow for "look" but they would be non functional. I may eventually add a freewheel crank like this.

http://www.cyclone-usa.com/installation.php

If thats the only way to get it done it may take a bit.

I should note the main reason behind this is to be able to use the gearing ratio that will allow equal to somewhere around 58 tooth for starting/climbing hills. Then a 34 tooth for cruising.

I think the only way to do that would be to disconect pedals
other wise your legs are gonna be pumpin pretty fast !!!

az thats the problem once I disconnect the pedals how do I start the thing

SlicerDicer said:

I think you are looking at a pull start with centrifugal clutch
that and a jackshaft to transfer chain to right side of bike

you get a small park plug gap 0.015, then get on the bike, push it forward or off your driveway, or run and jump on and start the bike.

same goes for stoplights.

but the problem joseph is the drive chain is going to be connected to a freewheeled cassette so it will just spin... It will not "pop start"

azkronic said:
SlicerDicer said:

I think you are looking at a pull start with centrifugal clutch
that and a jackshaft to transfer chain to right side of bike

EDIT: I spoke with Mike Simpson and he was extremely helpful brilliant guy! He was telling me about a pull start using a rope with a knot similar to the old briggs and stratton engines. This is the key to what I need to do :) Once I get it done I will post photos of it.

Back