Staton 24 speed Shifting with the engine and peddling

Discussion in 'Rack Mounted Engines' started by mlcorson, Oct 12, 2010.

1. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

2. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Cool set up..... You could shift that like an 18-wheeler!!

Love that disclaimer....Very good advice!!

3. reb1

reb1 Member

I am considering this for our tandem but also read that the freewheeling crank and idler is not part of the kit. If I can find the other hardware and it is compatible I may purchase it. This would make it better when traveling through the mountains. Staton emailed me back on another question last week and said that there is a 2speed gear box being tested that will be out soon.

4. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

5. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

6. katoomer

katoomer New Member

A big thanks to mlcorson for mentioning this. I wasn't aware of this development. Its exactly what I need. I ordered as soon as I could which was yesterday. $179

7. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Two Different Kits?

Looks like two different kits, huh? 24-speed on the right side, or 6-speeds on the left side.:detective:

8. g1manalo

g1manalo Member

9. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Seems a little pricey for what you get, even at the 'sale' price.

10. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

Katoomer:
    I'd like some feedback on this as soon as you are able. I have an inside drive, and I'm considering the purchase of the 6 gear when it becomes available. However, I also, like the pedal side option of the 24 speed. I may be able to fabricate the pedal side drive myself, but it would be more work than I'd like to dedicate to it.

11. katoomer

katoomer New Member

I'm hoping that kit will get to my house within two weeks. I'm a trucker and I get home then. If it doesn't arrive by Dec. 3rd. I won't be able to install the kit till the end of January some time. If I get the kit by Dec 3rd then I will install it the next day or so.

On the cost. Dave mentioned that Shimano shifter runs about $80. Thats true if you look online. It goes for 88 to way over 100.

Today he added the photo of the bike so that really gave me an idea how the parts fit on.

12. katoomer

katoomer New Member

Here's something I can't figure out. Look at the photo's. I read this towards the bottom.

quote: The two lower holes on the back of the gear box need to be drilled and tapped with a 1/4-20. Be sure and check your gear box to see if the hole are drilled and tapped ? They could be just drilled, but not tapped or they may not be drilled thru. If they are drilled but not tapped you will need to buy a 1/4-20 tap.

I don't see the reason for this yet ?

13. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

That appears to be for the new chain derailment mechanism that mounts on the opposite side of the gear assembly.
    I have an inside drive and I may opt to lengthen the drive shaft off the gear box, fabricate an additional bearing housing, mount it all against the gear box, drop a chain to drive the pedal gears. Honestly....I want it, but don't need it. I get enough power out of the standard set up. Maybe for a winter project.