Staton 3.11 on a GEBE

A

appye

Sorry if this question has been answered ... I DID search!

I am probably going to be using the Staton compact 3.11:1 ratio gearbox on my existing GEBE system. That is, I plan on removing the current GEBE drive and mounting the gearbox right on the mount straps. Anyone know of any caveats? The thing comes with a bracket that seems like it will work once I drill the holes to mate it up to the lower mount strap. Also, what about chain types? What advantages/disadvantages would there be to using #35 versus #40 or #41 chains? ... They do have a 72 tooth chain in #35 which might provide me more flexibility allowing me to attach different drive sprockets for my use, but is there a difference in quality with these two types of chains? What are the differences at all?

I am able to obtain ratios similar to my current GEBE system using readily available sprockets, so I am pretty sure I should be able to get this to work. I don't want to keep shredding GEBE belts with this beastly GP460 engine.

Question Regarding Plastic And Gas

Am using my water bottle as a back up gas tank -- seems to be breaking down -- small black pieces in tank -- most of our gas tanks are plastic -- do some plastics decompose in gas ?? Happy Riding from - Mountainman

Sorry if this question has been answered ... I DID search!

I am probably going to be using the Staton compact 3.11:1 ratio gearbox on my existing GEBE system. That is, I plan on removing the current GEBE drive and mounting the gearbox right on the mount straps. Anyone know of any caveats? The thing comes with a bracket that seems like it will work once I drill the holes to mate it up to the lower mount strap. Also, what about chain types? What advantages/disadvantages would there be to using #35 versus #40 or #41 chains? ... They do have a 72 tooth chain in #35 which might provide me more flexibility allowing me to attach different drive sprockets for my use, but is there a difference in quality with these two types of chains? What are the differences at all?

I am able to obtain ratios similar to my current GEBE system using readily available sprockets, so I am pretty sure I should be able to get this to work. I don't want to keep shredding GEBE belts with this beastly GP460 engine.

The differences between #35 & #40/#41 is the pitch and width. #35 has a pitch of 3/8th in. and a roller width of 3/16th in. #40 has a pitch of 1/2 in. and a roller width of 5/16th in. #41 is again 1/2 in pitch but has a roller width of 1/4 in. The load that each type of chain can carry varies as well. http://www.mcmaster.com if you type in roller chain into the product search box at McMaster Carr they have a nice explanation on the various types of chain and the basic specs of each.

Have you worked out a chain tensioner?

ocscully

Last edited:
So the 41 means bigger sprockets than the 35 to achieve the same ratios, right? I am guessing the bigger rollers would mean sturdier and able to take more "punishment" ? I have looket at the mcmaster-carr site and I am still a bit confused here.

As far as a chain tensioner goes, i was thinking about mounting a bracket right to the mount strap about midway down and putting a gear onto a bearing and shaft or something. I have not worked anything out yet really as this is all just conjecture at the moment.

a 69 to 72 tooth gear should work. Dave uses #25 or 35 chain for this one and either should work. I am interested in this setup also.

Yeah, the more I think about it, I like the idea of using bigger driven sprockets because then I have real flexibility with the drive.

Dave? Sorry I did not get that reference. Davesmotors? Dave Stanton? David Banner? Cheese?

So the 41 means bigger sprockets than the 35 to achieve the same ratios, right? I am guessing the bigger rollers would mean sturdier and able to take more "punishment" ? I have looket at the mcmaster-carr site and I am still a bit confused here.

As far as a chain tensioner goes, i was thinking about mounting a bracket right to the mount strap about midway down and putting a gear onto a bearing and shaft or something. I have not worked anything out yet really as this is all just conjecture at the moment.

The ratio will be controlled buy the OD's of the driver and sprocket you choose. As an example lets say that a 60t sprocket for #41 chain has a OD of 9 in. the same Dia Sprocket for #35 chain would have 72t The same would apply to the driver. At the link you orginally provided for the sprockets if you compare what they offer for #41 chain 48t, 54t, & 60t, too what they offer for # 35 chain 60t, 66t, 72t I bet the OD's are very close to the same from one to the other.

Anyway I hope this helps. I went thru alot of the same questions figureing out the Metric Timming Belt Drive train for my project.

ocscully

Heh, I get that it is the actual diameters that really determines the gear ratio, but if you have a 10 tooth driving a 60 tooth, the ratio is still 6:1, regardless of the size of the two sprockets. A 41 setup would just be using two bigger sprockets to achieve the same ratio as a 35 using the same amount of teeth.

I would still do the ratio calculation based on the number of teeth.

I am guessing strength is kind of a moot point, since I am talking about a chain versus a belt, but would a 41 setup at 6:1 be considerably stronger than the 35 at the same ratio, simply because it is made of larger pieces?

You have a timing belt drive that is not a GEBE? You got pictures? Does it use a beefier belt than GEBE? How do you achieve need ratios?

GP460+GEBE=SHREDDDDD unless you are VERY careful with the way you drive. As it is now, there is NO WAY I would let anyone else get on my bike.

Back