Staton EHO35 clutch

troy994719

Local time
9:56 AM
I have a Staton friction drive kit with an EHO35 engine, has anyone replaced this clutch with something that will engage at a lower RPM. Is it possible to replace the spring and make the clutch engage at a lower RPM?I also have an EHO25 kit and you can run it at a lot slower speed than the EHO35. About 11-12 MPH is as slow as I can get the EHO35 to go without the clutch rattling and making all kinds of noise.

I've heard of folks going with heavier springs on small engines to set the clutch at a higher rpm for engagement but personally I don't think the EHO35 will have the whammy to pull at a much lower rpm than what the stock clutch is set at. Also worth noting, the EHO25 uses a smaller diameter 56mm clutch. But consider this: there's ground speed and engine speed (rpm). If the ability to have a slower ground speed for cruising is what's wanted, this is probably best done with gearing IE: a smaller spindle for a friction drive or further final gear reduction for other type systems ...........or perhaps just more slow speed pedaling ;-)

Last edited:
I went with the 7/8 drive roller so a smaller gear is not an option. Thanks for the reply! I might consider selling this one and buying the EHO25.

Right. Everyone has different priorities, most often more speed is what's talked about. I also understand the desire for slow speed, quiet cruising, something I happen to appreciate. The question I defer from the most when asked out riding is "how fast will it go?" I usually answer that with "faster than you can you pedal a bicycle, ask me how many miles it gets to a gallon"

I do know one fellow who went from a EHO35 to a 25. His was on a belt drive. He lives in a Socal beach town where it's flat terrain, houses are very close together and the neighborhoods appreciate quiet. He is very happy with the smaller kit.

Right. Everyone has different priorities, most often more speed is what's talked about. I also understand the desire for slow speed, quiet cruising, something I happen to appreciate. The question I defer from the most when asked out riding is "how fast will it go?" I usually answer that with "faster than you can you pedal a bicycle, ask me how many miles it gets to a gallon"

I do know one fellow who went from a EHO35 to a 25. His was on a belt drive. He lives in a Socal beach town where it's flat terrain, houses are very close together and the neighborhoods appreciate quiet. He is very happy with the smaller kit.
thats a sweet ride!! I bet he has a good time it being flat and all!!

Back