Staton friction drive on a 29 mountain bike?

Discussion in 'Friction Drive' started by bikejock, Sep 6, 2015.

1. bikejock

bikejock Member

I'm thinking of getting a Honda 25cc friction drive kit from Staton for my mountain bike. The frame is too small for traditional bicycle in frame engine mounting techniques so I would have to go with a friction drive kit. Problem is I have no idea how or if it would fit. It also has disk brakes so that might interfere with the mounting. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Here's the bike I plan on using. It's my mountain bike I got last year from my local Giant dealership. It's the 2013-14 Revel 1 29er. I'll need to swap out the rear rack for the friction mount.
    251.jpg

2. 2old2learn

2old2learn Member

Nice bike. You have 3 good options. Friction mount on the rear, 50cc, 40cc or 35cc ,four stroke or two stroke. Or get the pedal axle shift kit and rear mount the motor and power it through your pedal axle so you can use all your gears with your motor.

I have a Specialized Hard Rock 29er with a Staton 50cc 4 stroke, rear mounted powering through my pedal axle. I can stop on the steepest hill and take off with no problem and accelerate up that hill changing gears as need be.

3. bikejock

bikejock Member

Ah ok. So it looks like I have more options but all would be friction drive only which I'm fine with giving a try. I hear friction drive kits (the good ones) are often better than those traditional China kits that go in the frame and use direct drives.

How would I go about powering it through my pedal axle? I imagine it will be pretty different compared to traditional bicycle engine shift kits. Care to show your set up?

4. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

I blew up your pic to 400% to get a good look at your seat stays near the center tube, it's not a clear pic. The way the u bracket mounts to most frames in that area might not work on your frame. Not exactly sure but from the pic it seems it won't in my opinion. That frame is so small I believe there's not enough room. You may want to check into that before spending money. Usually it won't fit is not a reason a vendor will accept a return. A Ubracket around the center tube below the seat might work, but the angle that the channel Ubracket is positioned might not work.....................................

5. bikejock

bikejock Member

OK. Here's some better picks of the areas on my bike a friction drive would mount to:
    255.jpg

256.jpg

253.jpg

6. IbedaYank

IbedaYank Member

IMGP0006 (2).jpg

Modify the mount or make one that fits your frame.
    Kits are not a one size it fits all use your brain to make it work

7. IbedaYank

IbedaYank Member

IMGP0018.jpg
    I used what metal I had in the scrap bucket it is ugly but for over 2000 miles has done the job and no matter what a friction drive looks like a pimple on your b

8. 2old2learn

2old2learn Member

Mine is not a friction drive. I have a centrifugal clutch that feeds a step down torque converter that then drives a chain that goes to my pedal axle that enables me to use my 21 speed gears. If my motor is off, when I pedal it doesn't turn the chain that comes from the motor so no frictional drive, your just carrying additional weight. My current top speed is 38 mph on flat ground.

9. 2old2learn

2old2learn Member

image.jpg image.jpg

Here's my 29er.

10. bikejock

bikejock Member

Nice. I'll probably start with friction drive first then try a shift setup like yours after a while.

Is that a coustom transmission you built or is it avalable somewhere?

11. 2old2learn

2old2learn Member

The motor is mounted to what I call a torque converter. It is a 16.75 to 1 step down so you don't have that drive sprocket rotating at the engines 8,000 rpm. Your trading rpm for torque.

David Staton @ Staton Inc sells this whole system.

12. bikejock

bikejock Member

How bout a staton friction kit on a folding bike? I found a decent folding bike for under $200 I'm thinking of getting. It's got 20 wheels but I've seen similar kits on folding bikes.

A folding bike would be great because I would be able to store it in my room if I needed to or take it in the car on a trip or something without the need for a bike trailer or a bike rack.

13. 2old2learn

2old2learn Member

If you go to the Staton Inc. Website I think you will see some folding bikes with Staton drives on them.

14. bikejock

bikejock Member

Ok so I'm going to try to get it to fit on my 29er and if I have to I'll get the folding bike if there's no chance it would work.

I have a couple of questions regarding a friction kit. Does a friction drive create more tire wear? Also, how is it pedaling on a friction bike? Would I be able to lift the engine above the tire to make pedaling easier?

15. 2old2learn

2old2learn Member

A friction drive will create some tire wear but its not excessive. Most friction drives enable you to engage and disengage the friction drive so you can pedal the bike without the parasitic drag of the drive unit.

Thats one of the advantages of using a pedal axle freewheel assembly so you don't have to engage or disengage the engine power.

16. bikejock

bikejock Member

What are some good tires that can handle friction drives longer? Currently I got Kenda 29x2.1s.

Also forgot to ask, What are the top speeds of a Honda 40cc friction kit?

17. bikejock

bikejock Member

Is it ok if the mount is slanted? I know most people prefer to level it but what's the harm of it being a little slanted?

18. 2old2learn

2old2learn Member

That's a question you may want to ask David Staton @ (405) 605-3765.

19. bikejock

bikejock Member

Does anyone know where I can find a top mount gas tank for the HS142F 4 stroke engines? I checked the clutch size & it looks like it would fit with the staton rear mount kit. I'm going to use my HS142 & get the staton rear mount without an engine to save money. I'm looking for the plastic gas tank that mounts on top of the cylinder head which is more ideal for friction kits.

20. bikejock

bikejock Member

OK, I got my Staton FDR kit today. Came on time and intact. most parts seem very well made compared to other kits.

Here's what my kit came with
    IMG_0558.jpg

I was able to get the stay brackets on nicely but I think I'll need to add to them so the motor mount and engine aren't interfering with my seat or my position on the bike
    IMG_0556.jpg

I thought this throttle was a neat design because I didn't even need to move my brake or shift levers. It also doesn't get in the way of my brake levers when I use them.
    IMG_0557.jpg

The only issue I am currently dealing with is these two clutch drums that came installed. I gotta remove the bigger one so I can install my engine. Don't know why they didn't just leave the extra bigger clutch drum separate. The bolt that holds the clutch drum on doesn't seem to want to budge so I might have to send that part to Staton inc. to see if they can remove it for me. Tried everything I could short of cutting it off to remove it myself to no avail. Ended up stripping the threading in the rotor shaft bolt socket in between the clutch drum and the mount when I tried myself.
    IMG_0555.jpg

I pretty much have everything so all I'll need is a gas tank that will work with an FDR setup and that clutch drum issue sorted out. Might end up getting a GX50 gas tank from Honda South for my HS142 engine. It will be a work in progress for some time but I hope to have it up and running by the end of the year the latest.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015