Staton friction drive on a 29 mountain bike?

The motor is mounted to what I call a torque converter. It is a 16.75 to 1 step down so you don't have that drive sprocket rotating at the engines 8,000 rpm. Your trading rpm for torque.

David Staton @ Staton Inc sells this whole system.

How bout a staton friction kit on a folding bike? I found a decent folding bike for under $200 I'm thinking of getting. It's got 20 wheels but I've seen similar kits on folding bikes.

A folding bike would be great because I would be able to store it in my room if I needed to or take it in the car on a trip or something without the need for a bike trailer or a bike rack.

Ok so I'm going to try to get it to fit on my 29er and if I have to I'll get the folding bike if there's no chance it would work.

I have a couple of questions regarding a friction kit. Does a friction drive create more tire wear? Also, how is it pedaling on a friction bike? Would I be able to lift the engine above the tire to make pedaling easier?

A friction drive will create some tire wear but its not excessive. Most friction drives enable you to engage and disengage the friction drive so you can pedal the bike without the parasitic drag of the drive unit.

Thats one of the advantages of using a pedal axle freewheel assembly so you don't have to engage or disengage the engine power.

What are some good tires that can handle friction drives longer? Currently I got Kenda 29x2.1s.

Also forgot to ask, What are the top speeds of a Honda 40cc friction kit?

Is it ok if the mount is slanted? I know most people prefer to level it but what's the harm of it being a little slanted?

Does anyone know where I can find a top mount gas tank for the HS142F 4 stroke engines? I checked the clutch size & it looks like it would fit with the staton rear mount kit. I'm going to use my HS142 & get the staton rear mount without an engine to save money. I'm looking for the plastic gas tank that mounts on top of the cylinder head which is more ideal for friction kits.

OK, I got my Staton FDR kit today. Came on time and intact. most parts seem very well made compared to other kits.

Here's what my kit came with
IMG_0558.jpg

I was able to get the stay brackets on nicely but I think I'll need to add to them so the motor mount and engine aren't interfering with my seat or my position on the bike
IMG_0556.jpg

I thought this throttle was a neat design because I didn't even need to move my brake or shift levers. It also doesn't get in the way of my brake levers when I use them.
IMG_0557.jpg

The only issue I am currently dealing with is these two clutch drums that came installed. I gotta remove the bigger one so I can install my engine. Don't know why they didn't just leave the extra bigger clutch drum separate. The bolt that holds the clutch drum on doesn't seem to want to budge so I might have to send that part to Staton inc. to see if they can remove it for me. Tried everything I could short of cutting it off to remove it myself to no avail. Ended up stripping the threading in the rotor shaft bolt socket in between the clutch drum and the mount when I tried myself.
IMG_0555.jpg

I pretty much have everything so all I'll need is a gas tank that will work with an FDR setup and that clutch drum issue sorted out. Might end up getting a GX50 gas tank from Honda South for my HS142 engine. It will be a work in progress for some time but I hope to have it up and running by the end of the year the latest.

Last edited:
Back