staton-inc engine

jawnn

Local time
8:00 AM
I can't find the staton in engine. how much does it cost and does it have a cvt?

I am thinking to use it backwards on my usx trike. so that it sits forword of the axil.

Hi jawnn,

Your head still up in the air, yeap you opened a can of worms and you didn't even now it, but the fun part when its all said and done you will have a recumbent that is going to be so much fun to ride !!!

Now seriously, stop opening new threads, its easier for fellow members to keep track of your progress if you just keep posting and asking all your questions in one place that way everyone who helping you out can keep an eye on you......

I can't find the staton in engine. how much does it cost and does it have a cvt?

http://staton-inc.com/

link to main staton site

http://www.staton-inc.com/Results1.asp?Category=14&offset=0

link to various trike applications

Questions

does it have a cvt? NO staton builds his own gearbox's, pretty impressive lifetime guarantee.....(or you can buy the nuvinci hub extra)

I am thinking to use it backwards on my usx trike

the problem with this i don't think you would have clearance for the honda, maybe one of the two strokes Tanaka 49 or mits 43 but the noise would be VERY loud as your engine placement would be close to under the seat, clearance issues underneath would be of major concern.

Check out this pic once again

http://www.motoredbikes.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12024&d=1224356200

I think keeping it behind is the best option for you, its going to be the least hassle for you to install, and their should be enough room for your storage.

drop dave a line at his workshop have a good chat with him, he will be able to clear up any doubts you have, and will be able to anwser any questions about alternative mounting ideas etc...

Its hard to make a commitment when you actually cant see this stuff first hand, but i will tell you this a vendor like staton produces A+ quality drives and you wont be disappointed.

good luck...

Last edited:
Staton's products include the Nuvinci CVT hub, which can be configured as a motored hub on a trike. The CVT hub kit itself is around $350, and you would need a honda gsx50 gearbox kit as well. The Nuvinci approach would be expensive (the kit would set you back nearly a thousand) but, it should drive the 400 pound load you mentioned up a 14% slope, and have a top end of about 30 MPH.

Hi jawnn,

Now seriously, stop opening new threads, its easier for fellow members to keep track of your progress if you just keep posting and asking all your questions in one place that way everyone who helping you out can keep an eye on you......

This IS true, don't think of it as one problem equals one new thread, but ONE bike build with twenty problems equals one thread. Later, when the seat won't fit, put it in the same thread and we will see why.

Those kinds of postings become really informative and easy to reference.

BUT, a 50 cc engine under the bike is going to take up a lot of room, and you MUST have to independently tie a remote gas tank to the frame somewhere behind you anyway.

I'd keep it in Dave's design, then, if you can document the build with pix, he can make adaptations in the future.

Agree about tossing questions all over the place.

In one of your other threads, asking much the same question, you did not mention that it was for installation on a trike. Another member wasted some time suggesting a happy-time engine, which just isn't going to work on a trike without a huge amount of work.

Let's take a look at your requirements (or constraints.)

1) has to push 400 pounds
2) up a 14% grade

These first two constraints limit you to the largest, heftiest 4 stroke, as you have a minimum amount of torque the drive system MUST supply in order to meet these two. And, if you assume a reasonable top end (20 - 30 MPH) it ALSO forces you to use some form of transmission/CVT to be able to increase the system gear ratio when going up hills, and reduce the system gear ratio when going downhill or on the flats.

Then, you toss in the third constraint later, almost as an afterthought: that it must fit in the existing space behind the seat.

The first two constraints just aren't compatible with the third constraint. Either the system is going to be big (and powerful) enough to push 400 pounds up a 14% slope, OR it will be small enough to fit in the space behind the seat. It IS NOT going to satisfy all three.

And, unless you live with a 5 mile range, your standard electric system isn't going to match the first two constraints either. For any sort of reasonable range, the batteries you would need would take up a LOT of space (and add a lot of weight,) or be prohibitively expensive. (a thousand bucks for just the batteries, I would estimate.) For power and range, you just can't beat an internal combustion engine.

Then, there's the other constraint, which is cost. An electric system with the power requirements you need, coupled with a reasonable 15 mile range or so, is going to be very expensive (or very, very heavy.)

A Nuvinci System is going to be quite expensive. On the order of a thousand bucks.

If you have the expertise to go outside the box, and use a pocket-bike CVT system with a jackshaft, you're probably looking at 500-600 dollars, plus a fair amount of time (there's no kit for this approach)

Any other kit that's currently available will have to compromise top-end speed, and STILL probably won't be able to get the bike up the hill when you've got it loaded, without peddling (maybe strenuously.)

Last edited:
Thanks for showing up guys,

Jawnn you are now in the tender hands of the experts around here feel free to ask any question, theres no such thing as a dumb question when it comes to fitting out our rigs.

way too many worms comming out of this can.

I just cant put the engine hanging off the back like they recomend. Because of the cargo box and the trailer hitch....the whole front end would pop up as soon as I get off.

I may have to use an electric motor just to get the weight under the seat. what size watts will be equivelnt to the 49cc gas engine?

Hub moters will not work on this trike with our steep hills. while the 14% grade is the worst cas and can be avoided the hills are not freandly.

Is there a way to rigg a gas motor on the forword side of the rear axils????

I also need a link t the left side axil that staton has for this trike. I cant find it and am too buzzed to even think when on the net. If you know of a way to combine the two or three threads please do.

must I build a newe trike?

Last edited:
If that is a 20inch wheel up front maybe you could consider a front mount, type deal,

my suggestion to you at this moment is to send as much info as you can, pics lots of pics, an explanation of what you want to try, to the vendors and see what suggestions they can come up with..

I'm not saying that the motor stick out the back. The current seat-back support appears to be just a rod dropped straight down. IF you rework that drop-rod for the seat, (make it an inverted 'U', for instance) you may be able to fit the motor, at least partially in the space that's there, and partially in the current space for the cargo box. Then, you could either SPLIT the existing cargo box so that it's half to the left, and half to the right, make the cargo box smaller, or shift it back about 6 inches...

Also, take a look at Largefilipino's very recent thread in the CVT forum, re his front-wheel drive CVT trike.

Last edited:
Back