Staton/Subaru + Trek 1st Build

shiftless

Local time
8:29 AM
Ok guys as I posted in my intro thread, the Staton kit came in! Just for reference, it is this one:

Staton Inside Drive Kit

*note to self, learn how to do linked text on this forum

Which is the inside drive gearbox mated to the 35cc Subaru EHO engine. I also ordered a heavy duty back wheel, which mounted up easily. Bear with me while I figure out how to embed photos in a post..
The wheel, oufitted with a Schwable Marathon tire and extra-thick tube:
img_1907.jpg

Then the engine drive side, where I put several washers to shim the hub out to the right spot. I may replace the washers with a nut turned down to the right thickness.
img_1908.jpg

Then the pedal drive side has one washer and a nut which I cut pretty thin:
img_1910.jpg

This all turned out pretty good.. I still need to adjust the rear deraileur thing for smoother action, but the hub is in about the same location as the original hub, and I won't need to dish the rim over.

Next up, the engine brackettry.. which I haven't figured out yet.. will post after dinner. :geek:

Last edited:
another Staton gear box fan

I found my chain cleared the frame best when the angle is vertical. 90 degrees from the ground level. To achieve that I had to fabricate the 4 or 5 inch spacers that go between the engine and the forward mounting bracket. I found later Staton has those already made up but they don't come with the kit.

One of the best features you have is that freewheel. I especially like it when I roll out on big hills. You don't get that engine braking effect.

<BURP> .. Ok that was good.. then my connection tanked.. :-/

Anyway, I got the wheel mounted pretty good, then went on to the actual kit. Flipping the whole thing over, I figured out where the angle irons and the two long bolts probably go.
IMG_1912.JPG

The locations of the 4 support posts are pretty obvious. But then there's this thing, a piece of channel iron with the three bolts (??) It is not obvious where this one is supposed to mount. If anyone would like to give me the forehead-smacking clue, that would be great. :geek:
IMG_1913.JPG

That should be the frame bracket. That goes on the "seat stay tubes" of the frame, below the seat and above the caliper rear brake.

Ahaa. Thanks for the tip.. I guess the Staton example install "went custom" at that point:

52.jpg

I'll try fitting it on the seat stay tubes when I'm off work. It seems like there were a couple of mount points in that vicinity, for a luggage rack or fender or something.. hmm.

Those little brackets near the axle are also going to take a little creative cutting.. I am thinking about buying some plate steel and making just one bracket per side.. and redoing the hub spacers.. brakes.. DVD player.. hmm could take a while!

I looked at your bike. It looks like that should mount below the rear brake. Pass that bolt through the hole tube support separator. I think you need to not use those long angles braces. The frame mount should support the gear box and the square 1/2" tubes should attach to the back of each side of the gear box. I hope that makes sense.

I don't know about not using the angle irons.. but I may leave out the channel iron thing. I will fab up something that uses those fender mounts on the frame. Failing that, I could use the channel iron, but it would need a hole in it to pass the brake cable through. Actually, the channel iron needs a LOT of holes in it to get it down to 10 pounds or so :83:

Ok, so I finally got some time to work on my bike and made some progress. Yeah, I'm slow. :geek: But the final product should be really good.

First I redid the axle spacers, cut a nut down to the right length for the left spacer (instead of the stack of washers). BTW a 1 1/4" neoprene fender washer makes a perfect bearing cover for a Staton hub. I put one on both sides.

img_1921.jpg

Here is how I got the channel iron out of the way of the brake. The brake cable passes through the channel iron. The mount now comes on and off easily, and is much lighter. This is not the most elegant piece of work I ever did, but it should be fine. I just burnt the middle out with a plasma cutter and cleaned it up with an angle grinder.

img_1920.jpg

There won't be any lateral force, the engine will just tug on it. This is just a preliminary dry fit. There will be EPDM pond liner between the mount and frame, and I will paint the mount black.

Next up will be the side-brackets for the support posts. The brackets that came with the kit won't work on my bike, I will have to fab up something out of plate steel. I think one bracket per side will work, I will make them a sort of triangular shape, each supporting two posts. Hopefully I will get that done tomorrow.. we shall see. :cool:

Got a little progress done today, not as much as I expected. A lot of time got wasted making 1/8" plates big enough to cut my 'Y' brackets (the axle brackets) out of. Being cheap and too far from a metal yard, I welded four pieces of the size I DID have to two big pieces...

img_1922.jpg

MY KINGDOM for a good template! :sick:

img_1923.jpg

I think this will work. The bottom of the Y will be slotted to sit on the axle, and there'll be one bolt to hold it to the frame at the right angle.

img_1924.jpg

Rough-cut the 'Y' brackets. I will try and get them cleaned up, slotted and holes drilled this week, maybe prime-paint-finish Saturday? :-/

img_1926.jpg

I did get the upper channel iron thing padded with EPDM and sanded (big whoop) and will paint it along with the Y-brackets.

Back