Staton Support Loose

Bill555

Local time
3:57 AM
My staton friction drive support on the engine side seems to have gotten loose. Where it is connected to the rear wheel frame. The hole in the support seems to have grown larger to the point i am worried that at some point the bolt will break out of the bottom of the support. The bikes frame looks fine. I suppose I should have looked into that shaking noise sooner.

Is this common? What's the best way to fix that?

That probably would be best. But I probably should have said easiest way to fix in stead of best way to fix. I guess i just need to find a way to fill in the gap so it can't smash so hard.

Worst case scenario, i could just buy another support bar. What would be the 'easiest' way to get rid of any looseness if I went this route?

Take a round file to the hole, make it circular again and take up the slack with a spacer tube/ring?

First, hope you're using a bolt and nut to hold the support arm and not just a cap screw.
If you are, pick up a nylon washer at a hardware store in the appropriate size, place it between the eyelet and the support arm and tighten down the bolt pretty tight. Should do the job and still allow the support arm to pivot.

Back