Staton: What size friction roller?

I am kind of wondering -- if I am getting a good top speed from my Subaru 35cc Station friction drive with 1" roller ? My top speed seems to be 22 mph. And while going downhill at around 25 mph the governor kicks in.. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

I am kind of wondering -- if I am getting a good top speed from my Subaru 35cc Station friction drive with 1" roller ? My top speed seems to be 22 mph. And while going downhill at around 25 mph the governor kicks in.. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

Really. The Robins have a governor?

Is there drag resistance from the roller going downhill?

Ahhh! David S drives me nuts sometimes. He promptly replied to my email but he just told me that if I have a nuvinci and my girlfriend has the same bike I wouldn't be satisfied with the friction drive and to go with at least the gear and chain drive. He didn't answer any of my questions or listen to my reasoning behind friction drive since I want it easily removable, lightweight and easy for her to use. I guess I'll just have to do my own research into which drive roller I should order. She lives in a second story apt with a screened in deck that she can store the bike on so weight is a definite factor. I would even strain lifting my nuvinci setup up a flight of stairs as it's just about all I can comfortably handle flipping over by myself to remove the wheels. I guess I'll just have to order what I think is best despite his "recommendation" sorry I couldn't be of any input Happy.
As far as drag resistance there should be some, especially if you have the engine revved up enough to engage the clutch it will engine brake. Otherwise unless you lift the drive roller off the tire you'll get some drag from the roller deforming the tire and spinning the clutch bell around. I couldn't imagine it to be much drag though and considering the fact that you can order the dual engaging posts and simply quick release the engine off the wheel in a couple seconds for prolonged pedaling its pretty much a non-issue. I have also heard the robin subaru engines are wonderful and they're probably a bit more quiet than the Mits 2-stroke with the added benefit of using straight non-mixed gasoline. For my neck of the woods it just wouldn't cut it unless I ordered a really small drive roller since we have very steep and constant hills around here. To find a mile of completely flat road in this state is not short of a miracle so the extra HP of the Mits is the way to go for me. I already have one too so I know how its configured and that it's a superb quiet 2-stroker. It also has lots of upgrade parts available for it since it's used on some go-peds and pocket bikes.

SirJakesus:

Yep, I hear you NH boys walk around with one leg shorter from walking the side hills so much.:LOL:

Actually where I live in western mass is right at the junction of the river valley and the Berkshires so I got some hills too to negotiate.

I hear ya on the implied convenience of the friction drive, plus being able to swap it out from bike to bike. Just not sure if it is the right way to go. Tempting but today with all this rain it don't look good. I don't anticipate riding in the rain but the years I had a motorcycle I know I used to dodge under a bridge during a shower and then make a dash for home when it let up on wet roads.

Hmmm, decisions.

PS
What you said about David S in spades, probably be the final reason why I can the FD idea.

Last edited:
Really. The Robins have a governor?

Is there drag resistance from the roller going downhill?

My Robin sure does seem to have a governor ? -- kicks RIGHT OUT AT AROUND 25 mph.. If there is no governor -- I have a problem with my engine.. I think that many are getting a better top speed also.. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

I've got a Staton 35 Honda with a 7/8" roller on a '81 Schwinn Cruiser 5, I weight about 180 and ride on mostly level streets at the beach. Top speed is 21 mph on level ground and that is plenty fast for me. The low end torque is marginal as is and I am very happy I have the 7/8" and not anything larger. Everything in life is a trade off, the trick is getting what's right for you at any particular time and place.

hi; why do people get hacked at mr staton when he wont kick it with them on the phone? try calling the ceo of chevrolet. mitch

IMO, Dave S. is a good guy. He might recommend conservatively, though. The 1.125" roller he suggested was great for me. When I bought his chain drive, he said I'd like it much better than the friction on my Dahon. I hadn't played with the chain drive much, because it spat out the master link on two occasions. I was also tired of riding my 20" Dahon, so I mounted the friction drive on my cruiser. That Mits combo w/1.125" roller is a joy. Too bad the chain drive won't fit onto the cruiser.

I should be getting my new rollers soon. Does anyone know how to remove the clutch drum from the roller? I'm having a hard time doing so. Also, do you just pound out the old bearings and roller as a unit?

Back