Staton: What size friction roller?

Even if David isn't great with communicating his products speak for themselves. Being that they're awesome and of the highest quality. Happy if you want the best setup for hills get the nuvinci setup. It's expensive but it will carry you absolutely anywhere. I'm thinking the friction drive wont be a problem for my application because I only ride in the rain if I'm caught in it and my lil lady rides less than me and pretty much only on great days. I just think this will allow her to reach out a little further and enjoy her bike more even when I'm not there with her.

My Subaru 33cc doesn't wind out on the level - 1" friction drive
going down hill - the governor kicks in - I don't do that to often

now that I have been riding it for a while
doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference in top speed
between 3/4 and full throttle
and at 3/4 engine sounds so much more RELAXED

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

Just for reference, it's been a month since I wrote this post....kit delivered and up and running with a 1" spindle. Glad I didn't go any bigger, can't imagine how much you'd have to peddle to start off with a bigger roller.

I referencing Motman's post here 'cause he is spot on in my book.

I've got a Staton 35 Honda with a 7/8" roller on a '81 Schwinn Cruiser 5, I weight about 180 and ride on mostly level streets at the beach. Top speed is 21 mph on level ground and that is plenty fast for me. The low end torque is marginal as is and I am very happy I have the 7/8" and not anything larger. Everything in life is a trade off, the trick is getting what's right for you at any particular time and place.

Happy, with Staton's biggest roller, there really isn't that much pedalling to start off, maybe a few seconds' worth.. I installed the 1.5 spindle and I like it. Top end is spooky fast when you run outa road before you run outa rpms.

However, I might install a 1.375" roller for more revs and torque.

Hi 5-7
I forget what engine(s) you're running but the in the comments above about the 1" spindle, I'm using the EHO35. I honestly feel that engine is way under-powered for a guy my size (200lbs). I not trying to make it a speedster either, but I feel I have to pedal too much. I got a new Mitsubishi in the shop waiting for a mounting kit, really bought the Robin for my wife and after it's broken in I think it will be great for her at 110lbs. Just my 2 cents.

Happy, I'm running a 2.2hp Mitsu with power pipe. It's a good engine for my needs; when I find optimum gearing, it'll climb my hills easier, run the flats and have enough low end for pedal starts. It's a versatile powerplant. If you want to gear it low for torque,it's good to go. If you want to gear it with 1.5" roller, it'll work with that. However, I have a hunch that this Mits engine could really use a transmission like the NuVinci hub.

I started with a mild-mannered 1.6hp Subaru engine, which I liked very much. It was a good match for my 20" Dahon. Top speed was 26mph with 1.125" and 190 lb. rider.

You have to remember that these are pedal-assist bikes. Unless you're running the NuVinci hub or super-low gears, everyone gets to pedal a small part of the ride.

That's the "exercise" part.

You're right, you don't have to pedal with the NuVinci but you get sick acceleration if you do. Regardless, it's a bike, pedaling is part of the experience and shouldn't be frowned about unless your engine is way over geared or broken down.
Friction may have to be pedal started and you have to choose a specific gearing for your needs but you get to keep your bike really light and simple. I have to manhandle my bike to pick it up or flip it and I haven't tried putting it on my bike rack yet because I don't know if it would buckle under the weight leaving my baby on the pavement in traffic. Everything has its ups and downs. If you want no pedaling get a scooter. Much tinkering can be done with those beasts as well.

Back