Stealth Bike

G'day all! Been a long time since I did the stroll through this website.

Gotta be at least a year when I started my motored bike. The missus needed one first for travel to work and back, so I dropped a Zbox 50cc HT unit into her MTB frame and it runs very sweet.:D

Then it was mucho trials and tribulations designing and fabricatiing all the custom bits for my ride. Three design changes later and as many months labour, I had a swing-arm frame with 3-speed hub as a Jackshaft. This of course did not work as I pulled the hub apart for servicing and couldn't put the bugger together again. It then became apparent that the swing-arm was way out of alignment when viewed from the front. I did of course blame the meds for this and many other fumbles along the way.:cry:

I all but gave up on the project, but after a restup and rethink I started designing again. Upon perusing this site I was inspired to once again take up the angle-grinder and welder to begin a mad, but passionate journey into motoredbikedom. I reckon my greymatter has soaked-up everything there is to know about these Chinese HT engines and the associated problems with their running and drivetrains.

It is with many thanks to the contributors who make this site so informative that I finally present my nearly finished Reddbak-One stealth cycle. Tis satin-black in the hopes that the Wallopers (police) will continue not to notice the li'l 70cc engine tucked away betwixt the framework. She rides very smoothly and is quite comfy for my ageing posterior.:cool:

Forgive the lack of detail using a mobile phone for images. I shall upddate with better pics and more on the build at a later stage.:D

Attachments

• reddbak01_frtQtr.jpg
    reddbak01_frtQtr.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 695
  • reddbak01_side.jpg
    reddbak01_side.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 715
  • reddbak01_RQtr.jpg
    reddbak01_RQtr.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 482
Tank

I got the tank from about a 1999 Taiwan Whizzer & the speedo is a simple weld on from the top. I can't take credit for the L@@Ks.... But a modern Garmen GPS would be the same & be the BOMB!!

Your bike is screaming for a HT double. Garmen in the middle. Check out the aftermarket Harley Davidson design for a suitible Quick BOB!!!

Okay, nifty, I didn't like the look of the bean-tank supplied with the engine, so I covered it in filler and shaped it into a mini-sportster. But that'll be stripped for a redo in expander foam under a grp coating.

Finished the exhaust and will spray with VHT tomorrow. While it's drying I'll take the chainguards off and snap some closeup images of drivetrain for posting.

I must admit I haven't yet seen a HT double. About to checkout yer albums.:D

Thanks Mountainman. I'll take that as an extreme compliment. There isn't much that I haven't built from scratch on this one. I'll have the missus shoot a video and post it somewhere.

I like muffler design #2. I've been thinking about some intricate muffler designs myself. Covering the works with fiberglass tape and having the outlet pointed at the ground help too. I was thinking about using a post for a chain link fence for the main body, they make domed end caps for the outlet too.

baffled explanations

I should add a few notes on the various designs.

The top unit is what was supplied with the wifes 50cc kit, except for the pipe. The original was simply crimped in the centre. This tinny specimen was replaced by 16mm mild steel tubing, drilled and had a ball of muffler putty rammed to halfway. The baffle plate represented by the thicker vertical line was puttied to the indie walls of the casing. The centre baffle tube slips into a 19mm sleeve on the engine pipe which is welded to the front bell-end.

The second unit is common in older cars with the casing being oval and the engine and tailpipes being offset as a rule.

The third is the most interesting to me and comes from a vintage motorcycle book on handy tips. Four 19mm PVC tubes were inserted into the casing and as luck would have it these were a tight fit. The author of the diagram claimed a considerable decrease in noise which suited his neighbours of the time.

Number four is a variation on the second, but I expect it could be louder with the dwell section rear-most.

The bottom unit is also common to factory vehicles, should be fairly restrictive and quieter than #2.

I have all I need for #3 so it's a go sometime in the future.:cool:

Attachments

• baffle designs.jpg
    baffle designs.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 201
frame artwork

This is the artwork I started with.

Frontend is custom-built using handlebar clamps for the tripletree blade locksBlades are 25mm OD tube. Backbone & Downtube are 32mm OD mild-steel tube, Rear Legs and vertical supports are 25mm and Jackshaft bracing is 19mm. Wheels are 24".

I don't mind supplying artwork with measurements in metric. But it's basically like any motorcycle frame and this one's scaled down to around 70% of a Harley Bobber pic I had.

Attachments

• redback_side_elev.jpg
    redback_side_elev.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 169
dont worry about it looking like a motorcycle! it loosk pretty nice!!!! some red here and there and you,ve got a nice looker! maybe you could ad padding for you back

nice ride!

Additional Images

Yeah I'm thinking I'll dust-off the old sign-writing kitbox, pickup the old lining-Brush and drag a few orange and rd pinstripes along it's flanks. I toned down the redback-spider stripe on the tank as it stood out like the proverbial dog's gonads.

I snapped a few closeups of the hand-made Jackshaft, hand-made Centrestand and a view from behind the hand-made saddle of the handmade bars.

Look closely and yer'll see the stripe on the handcrafted tank cover job. A closer inspection on the righside of the tank will see the cap restraining wire made from Bowden Cable. :geek:

Oh ... and nearly fergot me handmade, extra-wide Saddle to support me 240lb mass. The base of which was fashioned from an old TV Satelite-Dish. :whistle:

Attachments

• jckshft_R.jpg
    jckshft_R.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 167
  • jckshft_L.jpg
    jckshft_L.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 172
  • kickstand.jpg
    kickstand.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 153
  • upprL_rearQtr.jpg
    upprL_rearQtr.jpg