steel grubee style crank case anywhere?

Americium 241 is a radioactive element right after plutonium on the periodic table, used mainly in smoke detectors. I sure hope none of it is in our engines o_O

I was actually at one point thinking if having a motor milled from titanium until I saw the price of solid titanium. I'll stick to cheap as eff aluminum actually...

Also note that for a very very small fraction of the price of titanium you can get a cylinder replated with nikasil (super ceramic plate or whatever) and you can replace the threaded zones with helicoils and buy real gaskets with the spare change. All if which would be just as good (by that I mean exactly the same) as a steel crankcase and cylinder, only cheaper and lighter and more reliable.

What exactly makes you want steel of all materials? I don't see any advantages whatsoever...

you could always have one made up from a good aluminium alloy but i dont see why? whats wrong with chinesium crankcases? having one made from a different material would cost a fortune and have no real benefit seems pointless to me .

Out of all the available options and cost it seems having a steel sleeve installed is the cheapest way to go for the long run. Idk why anyone thinks using the same metal for parts that rub each other is a good idea.

you could always have one made up from a good aluminium alloy but i dont see why? whats wrong with chinesium crankcases? having one made from a different material would cost a fortune and have no real benefit seems pointless to me .
Well I was thinking along the lines as very durable and lighter than aluminum and stays shiny for far far far longer. But really it's not the metal unless it's got cast imperfections. You're right about there being no real benefit, steel, aluminum, titanium, all of them have their properties but it's the shape of the metal that makes it a motor. So as long as the parts are machined right then it's the same product. I can't say I'm happy with the onion paper thin chrome plate

I dont see any advantage to a steel case but would like to see a steel jug (even cast iron would be cool) so i can use real rings.

I dont see any advantage to a steel case but would like to see a steel jug (even cast iron would be cool) so i can use real rings.
Actually cast iron cylinders exist with minor modification, use the search function to find the most recent discussions.

Also as far as coating with nikasil, a ceramic, which can make a cylinder last a very very long time

Cast iron cylinder, about $50-$60:
full

Not exactly a bolt on but do-able...

Cast iron cylinder, about $50-$60:
full

Not exactly a bolt on but do-able...
What exactly is that cylinder from i been searching yamaha jog but all the cylinders i see only have an exhaust port
*Update edit*
Found it its the vertical minarelli , all the horizontal cylinders are case inducted . Good news is they come in both 40mm and 47mm altho the only 47 I see is considerably more expensive than the 40 ,
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/cylinder-kit...033466?hash=item4b0b1d8dfa:g:zIAAAOSwx2dYEzBw 47mm
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Kit-cylindre-piston-50-MBK-Booster-Rocket-Stunt-Spirit-NEUF-/271167360023?hash=item3f22d58c17:g:27cAAMXQhuVRNwct 40mm

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back