Stingray OCC Chopper w/Nexus 7sp

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Byron, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Byron

Byron New Member

I probably missed it, but I spent quite a bit of time trying to find something about putting gears into to a OCC Stringray Chopper frame. I'm well aware that the OCC frame is quite a bit wider that normal, but I assume that some enterprising forum lister has figured out a way of putting gears into the OCC frame, but I could find no reference to an installation. I'm impressed with the Nexus 7 sp hub, and thinking about making the effort. It has the correct number of spokes, but obviously it is somewhat narrower. My chopper is complete but not fired so far. I've mounted a "RAW" 80cc ?? motor with jackshaft, but would really like to have the chain feeding gears. So....anyone done this, or have any ideas.......Thanks Byron

2. Irish John

Irish John Guest

Don't know about OCC stingray but I make sprocket & clamps for the Nexus 7spd coaster hubs if that is of any help. The sprockets are drilled as per attached drawing and I make the clamps from 318 stainless and not galv steel as stated on the drawing. I make the rubber from 2 ply same as the normal clamps. They work really well on a 48T sprocket and would work fine on a 44T as well. I would supply them to MBc members at cost price (i.e. no profit).
    P,S. I see now - you have a jackshaft to run from the pedal chain side. Shouldn't be a problem but 7 spd is a bit over the top. A 3 speed would be better and they cost a lot less. I reckon my old Sturmey Archer 3 spd could be driven by a motor quite easily. They are much easier hubs to service and fix than Shimanos.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2009