Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ozzyu812, Apr 14, 2009.

1. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

I don't know quite where to start. I'm in the middle of my DAX 80 (70) build. I don't like front brakes without suspension forks. I wanted to run dual rears as I have been. I had a cantilever, stock and added a caliper near it, left lever for one and right for the other. I also didn't want to have a brake & clutch lever on the left. But I haven't ordered a Dual Pull Brake Lever yet. I did see a pic a while back where Ghost had converted a single pull into a dual pull. But I didn't have the materials to do it. Someone had left and old caliper brake on the bike rack right above my tire. Like they was saying, here ya go, you need a front brake. As a kid I had put the brake caliper where the kickstand goes. I saw the frayed wire form my existing caliper, I had just finished a pre-install of the Large Filipino clutch pull mod.(!) Then the AH-HA moment! :idea: But are the cables that long? I had a new set of Wally World cables checked for length and unbelievably they're long enough! So robbed some nuts and bolts I have got for the kit and mounted the pulley and gifted caliper, ran the long new wire though exiting cable though brake #1 round the pulley to brake #2. Looked at it said that ain't right. OH, it needs a cable jacket and "L" bracket. Cable I got,but I didn't have a "L" bracket. I have a strap with holes in it that was going to from the top of the chain tensioner to the frame for added security. I worked it back and forth at the 3rd hole til it broke and bent it between 1st & 2nd. There was my "L" bracket! Which I will replace when I go to the hardware store to get all the stuff I stole from the kit. It seems to work really good! Feels like there is only one brake! Having the pulley adds leverage. There is a bit of a friction point right at the "L" bracket. Which could break the cable in time. I'll either get a larger pulley or move the "L" bracket to the bolt just below the pulley. There is a little tweeking to do on it, but, I couldn't wait to get some pics and post this.

Now, in a way I'm back where I started. Because I still have 2 break levers. I'll most likely just put the one for the cantilever in some odd spot on the bars to avoid taking it apart and losing parts. Until I get a dual pull break lever. Then it will have 3 breaks on one brake lever! I do realize that this adds no additional tire to road breaking surface, and there is most likely a point where break pad to rims surface does no further good. Since I'm not an engineer, I have no way to figure that out. I'll just go way beyond that point! Besides it looks so cool!

Attached Files:

2. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

That is ingenious. Cool.
  3. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Yup, some nice DIY engineering there. Good job.
  4. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

Thanks for the compliments!
  5. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

Looks like you're going to be able to lock that thing up instantly if you choose. Nice.
    Don't underestimate the brute stopping power of a front brake though, I wouldn't personally like riding without one.
  6. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

I'll put a front brake on when I get suspension forks. Maybe two hhmm.........
  7. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

That's awesome, and I'm going to do that to my bike too, as I currently only have front brakes! Thanks for the great idea!

8. pooja84

pooja84 Member

I found it good. Its amazing. I would love to ride it.
  9. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

OMG! Now I know it a crazy idea if Znsane wants to do it! LOL

Thank You, Poo

I finally have time to do some tweeking tonite.
  10. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

Attached Files: