stops running when clutch is pulled

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by scottfl82, Apr 1, 2007.

1. scottfl82

scottfl82 Guest

hi all first time to motoredbikes. im 25 living around tampa florida and i have a problem which i believe is electrical but am very opened to suggestions at this point.

heres the details i have a 70cc motor umm chinese design i assume. some older folks ive talked to say it looks like a "whizzer" but i got mine from howell motors on ebay.

ive had the bike running for about three months and there have been no problems other than a leaking carburetor but that was resolved by the seller.

just the other day i was riding the engine sounded bogged down and when i pulled the clutch it died. my first thought was the killswitch was shorting but after unwiring it and checking all the wires for shorts the problem still remained

before i start taking things apart i need a second or third opinion thanks.

2. jeffspeeder

jeffspeeder Guest

well the cluch pin may be bad u should chech that. and u should check ur wires and magneto see if everything is on good and cuz it happend to mine and i fix it so check that then get back to me.
  3. scottfl82

scottfl82 Guest

i looked at all that stuff. magneto is fine as well as all the wires. i dont know what damage/problem im looking for on the clutch pin. it slid right out when i took the sproket cover off. it was greased and had no sign of wear. i gave her a test run afterward and still the same runs ok kinda bogged till you try and pull the clutch lever and then it dies
  4. jeffspeeder

jeffspeeder Guest

try adjusting ur throttle screw
  5. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

yes, check the "idle" screw...they do vibrate out if you don't watch it.
  6. Hugemoth

Hugemoth Guest

What happens if you have someone hold the rear wheel off the ground while it's running, then pull in the clutch? How about if you give it some throttle as you pull in the clutch?

7. scottfl82

scottfl82 Guest

well i wished the idle screw was the easy fix but its not. also bout the holding the bike off the ground that works if you can pull the clutch and give it gas fast enough but as soon as you stop giving it gas it dies.
  8. azbill

azbill Active Member

you can try to back-out the adjuster on top of carb , it may not be leaving any gas going to engine when you let go of throttle
  9. jeffspeeder

jeffspeeder Guest

u may have gotten a bad servo idk but u could try to get a new one it will probley work
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

Bad servo? Huh? :?

Re-check the intake gasket/carb/throttle cable. What happens if you screw the idle screw in several turns? It may have worn away at the tip and so screwing it in the "normal" amount does nothing.

New plug?

Pulling in the clutch will disengage the engine from the drive line, but if you keep the throttle opened it shouldn't quit unless you mean when pulling in the clutch to stop with no throttle. Is it possible that pulling in the clutch causes something to bind, therefore killing the engine?

"bogging a little"....can you elaborate on that? You mean it seems to "bog down" while running it at a regular cruise?
  11. Guest

Guest Guest

Carboned up exhaust? What does the plug look like? How many miles in three months?

Alright, I'll stop now.
  12. jeffspeeder

jeffspeeder Guest

this is my suguestion go to a hill and just go really fast let off the clutch and since ur going fast u have a little time to tweek with the motor while ur trying to start it just pedal ut to about 25mph let it turn over alot. just do some adj to the idle screw and stuff.

ps. make shure the gas valve is open
  13. scottfl82

scottfl82 Guest

been on vacation glad to be back....anyway plug is fine exhaust is fine. seems to be doing the same thing, dying right when the clutch is pulled unless you give it gas to keep it going but you almost have to keep it at full throttle im still boggled :p
  14. Guest

Guest Guest

Did you try a new plug?
    What gas/oil mix are you using?
    Have you actually checked the intake gasket closely?
    Is the float sticking and flooding the engine? (gas coming out of the air filter)
    How easily (or not) does it start?

Feed me...long distance diagnostics are a biotch!
  15. scottfl82

scottfl82 Guest

i didnt try a new plug but the old one is still getting spark the bike only has aprrox 500-600 miles on the engine....

gas mix now is 32:1 i broke it in with 4-5 tanks of 20:1

intake gasket was shit but replaced that with a new gasket which didnt help

float in carburetor is not sticking gas is being regulated how it should no leaks

starts fine just needs to be primed and choked like always
  16. Guest

Guest Guest

Try a new plug, gapped at .020 instead of .035. Use a good plug, not a crappy Chinese one like the engine comes with.

There's a list of plugs around here somewhere.....Autolite 425 or 4093 for starters.

See what happens, it's under two dollars to find out if that's it.

BTW, let me get something straight, does it run O.K. once you get it going and dies when you are off the throttle and pull in the clutch? Or does it run generally crappy all the time?
  17. scottfl82

scottfl82 Guest

i will try a new plug can i find them at any autoparts place or is it a specialty item?

reply to your question
    "BTW, let me get something straight, does it run O.K. once you get it going and dies when you are off the throttle and pull in the clutch? Or does it run generally crappy all the time?" it runs OK when i got it going and dies when im off the throttle and pulling the clutch
  18. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

19. Guest

Guest Guest

To answer Scottfl82's, those are regular auto parts store type plugs. You can find them at Wal-Mart too.

Also, yes, try turning your idle adjuster screw in, mine was nearly all the way in before it would idle properly until it was broken in, now I've been able to turn it our a couple...I'm approaching 300 miles.