Straight Bar Whizzer

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by chainmaker, Nov 28, 2014.

1. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

Since selling my whizzer a couple years ago, pic below, I've been really missing it and decided to build another just like it.
    [​IMG]

I had a bunch of parts from a Briggs project that the frame turned out to be suffering from fatal internal rust. I picked up a 47 H last June and sent it off to Quenton for a rebuild (will post specifics later) I finally located a solid frame and it arrived the other day. I'm at work on call at work today and made use of some shop time.

Here is the frame 1955 Schwinn before
    [​IMG]

And after I blasted the frame, and Felt Abraham Linkage forks
    [​IMG]

I will be using welded in frame mounts for this one.
    [​IMG]

Mounts won't be welded until right before paint because there a couple more parts that need to be welded on ( rear brake tab, seat , kickstand mount and tool box) that I need to make or haven't decided on yet.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014

2. james65

james65 Member

That was a beautiful build and I'm sure this one will be also. Hope you and the family had a great thanksgiving.

Jim

3. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

I am not going to be able to paint until spring and I need to make custom length cables so I spent the day today putting what I have so far together to get measurements.. The front spring bar isn't installed for mock up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

the wheels are 19in moped rims laced to a Sturmey Dymo drum in front and a Motobecane rear drum the tires are Deestone 2.25in. in front and 2.5in. On the rear they are speed rated for 120km - Quenton rebuilt the motor with all new -bearings, .050 piston, high lift cam, and the ports opened up and polished.

5. lillback44

lillback44 Member

Nice bikes Chainmaker! Must have been hard to let that first one go. My current project started out similar to your first one. I decided I didn't like those reproduction Monark forks. Too cheaply made and I felt like the tire could come right off if it got a little loose. I wish I had bought some original Monark forks. Probably would have been cheaper. I still have them. I also didn't want to dish out $400 for that tank!
    I have a few Questions on your current build (looks great! ) Are those really 19" rims? I'd think the bike would look lower? What length are the spokes? Is that black lever near the bottom of the front hub the brake arm? My Sturmey brake has a long arm that attaches to the fork.
    I've been thinking of using some moped hubs on a future project, but on 26' rims. Keep up the great work and more details please!
    Lillback44

6. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

The rims are 19 inch, but moped/motorcycle size not bicycle which include tire in the measurement. With the tire I am at about 24.5 inches,The forks aren't the common repops they are the felt ones, which were reworked by sportsman flyer if you zoom in on both bikes the difference is obvious. Sportsman welded a nice big old stud on the fork shock there is A matching hole on the brake arm and I trimmed the rest off for a clean look.

7. lillback44

lillback44 Member

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the rim size difference. The forks I was referring to are the ones on the first bike. The felt one look very nice and stronger. I have no way to zoom in on pics on this site. Hope you didn't think I was being critical. Both bikes are awesome. Curious about the carb and the spoke length?

8. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

The carb is a new Tillotson MT12A that Dennis Carpenter reproduces that Mike at Whizzer Works re-works for Whizzers. Spoke length, honestly I don't know I've had the wheels wrapped in storage for almost 2 years. I agree with you on the other monarks they are nice looking but lacking in durability.

9. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

Having this bike mocked up is great,while setting up throttle and compression cables last night I saw that there would be a bowl of spaghetti mess on the handlebars so this morning I made up some stainless cable noodles
    [​IMG]

10. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have had an extremely busy winter and just started getting back to this bike. Here's how she's looking, the clutch is one of Quentins new autos and I had to make a little room under the belt cover.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  11. lillback44

lillback44 Member

Looking pretty badass Chainmaker! What are you using for a clutch?
    Chris

12. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

Chris, I am using one of Quentins new Auto-Clutches. I will be having the tank bung relocated to the rear of the tank instead of the middle, the placement is directly above the throttle and with the taller head I want to make sure there will be no issues. I got UPS confirmation yesterday that my old bike and my new motor shipped and should be here next week. Im very excited about the motor, here is what info I have on it perhaps Q will pop in and give some info I dont have (He built the motor for someone else)...vintage Carter carburetor [Whizzer version] . Needle bearing crankshaft, Whizzer "racing" piston, "custom" made wrist pin, Hi compression head [re-worked & milled], "H" crankcase with a ported "300" series cylinder [with larger valves], aluminum "300" exhaust manifold, tall oil breather [allows 8 oz. oil in crankcase], .193" lift camshaft, copper head gasket, electronic ignition module, crankshaft seal, left side crankshaft bearing, right side needle bearing [in the side cover], and all new gaskets. The motor has been boxed since he built it.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  13. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

I had to make up a plate and pin for the rear drum brake which will be welded on.
    [​IMG]
    The new motor fits, but the tank bung will have to be rlocated.
    [​IMG]
    Im going with a sportsman exhaust, which sould sound nice.
    [​IMG]
    My original bike made it back home and is already taken apart for fresh paint and the rebuilt motor originally planned for this bike.
    [​IMG]

14. jbcruisin

jbcruisin Member

You got nice stuff there Chain. I hope to see it in August.

15. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

It's all your fault Jay, at LS's rally a couple years ago "you should get a whizzer"

jbcruisin likes this.
  16. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

Time to take it apart and have the seat welded in place and tank bung relocated, Next photo should be put back together with new paint

[​IMG]

David Bogle likes this.
  17. james65

james65 Member

TRhat bike looks awsome. Great build.

18. lillback44

lillback44 Member

Would be most interested in seeing what that auto clutch looks like! Hope you can post a couple pics of it. FYI,: Memory Lane has some Schwinn crank arms for sale that they tell me are specially bent and re-chromed for Whizzers. I just received mine yesterday and haven't had the time to figure out what is different about it, although I have tried it out on a bare frame and it solves the clearance problem with the chainguard.
    The chainring (side) arm is curved and the other side looks like a dogleg style. I will post a pic on my straight bar build thread tomorrow.
    Lillback44

19. jbcruisin

jbcruisin Member

Chris,
    That clutch Chain has is the same as the ones Quenton & I had at Portland last summer.

20. mason_man

mason_man Active Member

Awesome chain!
    Now comes the hard part.....trying to finish!
    Thanks for bringing us along.

Ray