Street legal clarification (Alabama)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess what I just found.

HB630
By Representative Millican
RFD Judiciary
Rd 1 15-MAR-2001

This bill would define motorized bicycle and would exempt a motorized bicycle from the requirement to register certain motorized vehicles.This bill would provide that the operator of a motorized bicycle would have all the rights and would be subject to all of the duties applicable to the operator of a bicycle.This bill would require an operator of a motorized bicycle to possess an operator's license or a drivers' license.This bill would provide that an operator would not be required to register the motorized bicycle in order to operate it on a roadway.

A BILL
TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT

To amend Sections 32-8-2 and 32-8-31, Code of Alabama 1975, to exempt motorized bicycles from the requirement to register; to grant the operator of a motorized bicycle all of the rights and to subject the operator to all of the duties applicable to bicycle operators; and to further provide that the operator of a motorized bicycle is required to possess an operator's license in order to operate a motorized bicycle on a roadway.

Doesn't say what happened to it, I,ll research and get back.

The bill passed the House and died in the Senate. Micky and I both wrote our respective State Senators to request the bill be taken back up and received no response.

Ok now I read that earlier this year others from MB found the link as well and have been talking about how we might get the laws changed over here. Do you think we should focus on the Senate to adopt the old bill or push the House into drafting a new one without the license requirement?

Current Laws
Motorcycle Tag $15 / $50 for Custom

When registering, you'll apply for a motorcycle tag, which carries a fee of $15. You can instead get a personalized license plate for an additional $50.
To tag and register your scooter or moped, you'll need to visit your local tag office with the following:
* Original or current title or certificate of origin showing you as the new owner.
* Your driver's license or photo ID.
* Bill of sale.
* Current registration papers, if there are any.
* $15 registration fee, plus local fees of $1 to $5.
* Sales tax, based on purchase price.

One exception to getting a "title" is to get an older bicycle.
http://www.legislature.state.al.us/CodeofAlabama/1975/32-8-31.htm
(12) A vehicle designated a 1974 year model or prior year model.

Also check with your insurance agent to see if your Homeowner's or Renter's Insurance covers your liability. I think Alabama law requires at least $50k of personal liablity. I know I keep an umbrella policy as well. Ah here's some of the numbers.

Last edited:
Governor Riley has called the Legislature into special secession because they failed to pass the state operational budget. If they can't get that right, this is going nowhere without ten thousand people, across the state, raising he11 about it. I'm not trying to be negative but realistically, these people won't do their job and need to be FIRED. If the voters took the time to find out what goes on in Montgomery, they would probably be down there with torches and pitchforks.

PS
I'm not going to register as a motor vehicle because it's not, its a BICYCLE!

Last edited by a moderator:

I am going to try my first trip to work pedaling tomorrow. I really wish I could add a motor and be street legal, but being in Huntsville - I'm not sure I want to risk adding an engine without ensuring I am legal. I have a good job and a family to take care of (and I am insured in case I am killed by a bad driver). I can not afford to risk my job by tarnishing my record for bucking the system, just because I did not agree with it.

I am going to give pedaling a shot before I start spending any real money towards this hobby. If I could legally stick an engine on it and have it retain it's bicycle status, I would already have it on order. I may visit the local police precinct and talk to someone there and ask them what they permit or what I would have to do to be legal and enjoy this hobby. If I can get something in writing from them that would cover me for the small trip I would be making from home to work and back (legally it's a defined bicycle route - but try telling those driving environmentally tagged Hummers & individual SUV driver's that), I may pursue getting an engine. If they tell me they actively enforce the letter of the law, and I would be fined for adding an assist engine without doing "yadda yadda yadda" then I may either suck it up and pedal when days permit, or jump through the hoops they require. I want this more for health, than for "saving the planet" and my pocketbook.

Pros: Encourages Exercise, Saves Wear & Tear on Car, Saves a few bucks each week on gas (at $4/gallon, and 14 miles round trip, 5 days per week, it would take me a little over a year to make the $$ back from the gas savings for the engine cost - 59wks - so it would be ridiculous to suggest a BIG money savings was a factor).
Cons: Jumping through Alabama's backwards legal stance if a cop wanted to press the issue, I know of two decapitations from the last 8 years near my house (one a drunk walking to get beer, the other I think was a cyclist).

I had a friend put in prison in Massachusetts for 18 months. He had a pistol in his glove compartment that he "legally purchased", "legally registered", and had a "legal permit to carry it in Alabama." His crime was not knowing the laws in Massachusetts, not knowing it was a felony there, and not knowing MA did not respect the rights AL had granted him (or his constitutional rights). When he was pulled over, he told the cop he had it in his glove compartment. Had he known the laws, I doubt he would have carried it with him on his trip in the state.

One of my co-workers often rides his bicycle to work and gave me a lot of pointers (he rides 28miles round trip - no assist engine).
1) Get up early, leave the house 2hrs prior to 8AM
2) Have Clothes at Work to change into (on days you do drive, & we have a shower down by the weight room)
3) Keep a lunch in the fridge (on days you do drive)
3) Leave Early in the Evening - (Worst thing about riding a bike is other drivers at this time)
4) A strobing front and rear light will get you more respect from traffic (as well as a strobing light on your helmet, the point is to be noticed and seen, and a light on your head helps ensure others know your intention of moving one way or the other)

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I've passed Jefferson County, Marshal County, Birmingham, Trussville and State Troupers. The only stops have been mine to show off my bike and chew the fat. I don't think they even noticed me. Go ask if you wish but you won't get the answer you want and then they will be looking for you. You can't get a tag because of no VIN, that's what you tell them if anyone ask. Any officer that pulls your chain over a bicycle, isn't doing his job, just look at the drugs, murders, robberies and drunk drivers in your area. Now if you're speeding, all bets are off.

The ride in today...

made me see how much you all love your assist motors. The weakest part of my bicycle is me. A tired bicycler is a lot more dangerous than an assist motor, because you can easily fall down in the road if you get too weak. I had to pull off the road and rest four times on my seven mile ride into work today (took me ~50minutes to get here - 5.8MPH would be the average speed stopping and going). It was the inclines that killed me each time, and they were not that steep. The first time I pulled over, I was tired of peddaling. The second time I remembered I needed to breath while riding, and I had not felt that bad since my first day of track (when you throw up near the fence, thankfully I did not but boy did I feel like it). The third time I pulled off and road on the sidewalk, felt like I was going to pass out - then my head cleared. I then made it to the traffic lights and where the highway comes onto the road I was on - thankfully I had all green lights and a long downhill trail. The fourth time was at the long end of it and I pulled off the road and climbed up to the sidewalk and sat with my bike for a few minutes - cause I was hurting. I limped the rest of the way into work on low speed just focusing on the furthest thing I could see in the distance.

Moral of the story, is I that I made it - and I am not stopping. I am going to ride in on Mondays & Thursdays as that gives me two to three days to rest up. I am dreading the ride home today due to traffic, heat, and uphill battles, but if I did not start riding now (age 31, about 20-lbs overweight for my height) I do not think I would be able to later. I hate being this out of shape, and I am tempted to go electric - since the hub motor is not too noticeable. My greatest wish right now is for our Governor, State Senators, and State Representatives to make this a legal mode of transportation. If they did that, I'm sure a lot more folks would be riding with assist motors. Not many people would go through the punishment I went through today a second time (or brave enough to try it a first time without an assist motor).

Forget the electrics, forget the police, go Staton chain with a TLE43, one of the quietest, cleanest motors on the planet. At 140 MPG, you're not only saving YOUR MONEY but SAVING THE PLANET. I through that last one in for the tree hugging fools on this forum. Point is, it makes good since and living where you do, you could commute to work 300 days a year by bike. If 20% of Americans could do that, OPEC would be in a bad way.

PS
If you spend your life waiting for politicians to do the right thing, you're in for a long wait.

Last edited by a moderator:

I will look into it. Before legality entered the picture I was wanting the EHO35 from GEBE (they suspended ordering - due to high demand - literally minutes away from pulling the trigger before I decided to look into the laws). It's a 4 stroke engine, less upkeep, and has decent power. I know wavy built a tandem with it, and I thought I could mount it to my bike until I lucked up on a good deal for a tandem bike (so I could get the Mrs riding with me). Truth be known, I'd prefer riding a tandem with an assist motor even if I was by myself. It gives you just a little of a barrier if someone decides to run over you - though I guess at that point it's too late. I stand a better chance of being run over without an assist motor than if I was going closer to the speed of traffic flow.

Last edited:
Good, but I offer some info:

GEBE Robin $594

Staton TLE43 $629

For the extra $35 you get:

A chain drive that is bullet proof, 95% of the reduction occurs inside the gear box so the chain is running at low speed.

A freewheel on the rear hub that allows coasting or pedaling with zero drag, no broken spokes, off center drive rings or belt issues.

Lifetime gearbox warranty.

37.5% more power with no oil changes, or valve adjustments.

A ride so quiet, that you can hear the wind as you go down the road.

Weighing my options...

I looked at the chain drives, and they make the 35 with one. The TLE43 is still a 2-cycle and I do not want to have to mix the oil (rather just pull up to a pump and go). Maybe it's a stigma thing, but 2-cycles normally have a bad rap for being noisy (sounds like this ones diff or maybe it's just quite for a two cycle). Granted the price for the 4 cycle and chain drive is $859, it's still fairly visible - but at least it could be used year round (unlike an electric), especially if the weather crew did not get the forecast correct.

For me I want a stealthy look, it's hard to beat the Crystalyte hubs. The advantage is it does not look like a power assist, it's silent, goes faster than a gas engine, does not require an additional chain or belt drive, and uses no gas - therefore I can bring it into the stairwell at work and charge it up (and an outlet exists there, just checked). I can add another outlet at the house to keep a charge there as well, but I bet I could keep it charged at work with no issues the next day (less than 7 miles from here). The only cost would be battery replacement, and electricity to keep it charged (free to me at work). Plus later on, I could always add in a gas engine and make it a tribrid (gas, electric, pedal). Plus I'm an E.E. not a M.E. so I should be able to design my own electronics. So many options, so little time. I'd love to build a Tesla Turbine for a bike (works off of adhesion & viscosity). Tesla figured you could get 25HP per 1-lb of engine (superb ratio there), and it's super efficient. Back in his day most engines were steam powered, so you had a boiler provide the pressure. If your engine parts could handle the heat and pressure a continuous diesel would provide a very efficient, exuberant mileage per gallon - cars would see a big boost as well.

Has everyone seen the 376.59 MPG car? They built it back in 1973 out of a 1959 Opal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back