Street Legal Mini 50cc Choppers...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sparky, Oct 10, 2008.

1. sparky

sparky Active Member

I was checking out www.fiveflagsmotorbikes.com today, and I saw a Mini Chopper section that I never noticed before.... http://fiveflagsmotorbikes.com/MiniChoppers.htm

$650 to $1200 for mini choppers similar to the ones Graucho built. China sure is great, eh? I'd rather build a NuVinci Trek or something... but those prices are extremely tempting. Surely they cut corners on quality, but I'm a sucker for the right price.

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

yes - they are kind of cute sparky

but - a little to flashy for me
    for me anyway those motor bikes don't have that cool flashy look
    they seem more of a cheap flashy

it's hard to explain
    I stopped by a new scooter store the other day
    they had a lot of scooters from China
    all very very flashy and super low in price

my biggest concern would be -- WILL THE PARTS BE THERE IF NEEDED ????
    something tells me that this is the downside of these said products
    at least for now...

ride that thig Moutaiman

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  3. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

cvvhhggggfvvvvv

4. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Those choppers are "street legal" as a motorcycle, they are not motorized bicycles.
    I own a Lifan LF110GY-3
    http://www.cwpowersports.com/LF110GY-3.html
    It is a copy of a Honda Trail Cub. It is street legal, but requires a motorcycle license, registration and insurance. And yes, China sure is great. 100mpg, 50 mph cruising, electric start, and not a drop of oil leaked. All for less than $800 with tax, destination, etc. (yes, I know the website is more. I bought from a local dealer)

5. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

They do look neat. And the price is good.

But how "mini" are they? Would you be safe in traffic?

6. sparky

sparky Active Member

Would be nice to see some pictures showing size relativity.

I'm definitely not getting one because I'm not paying for registration, insurance, etc. But it's just crazy to me how inexpensive these bikes are. I'm sure Graucho put quite a bit of time & prolly a good bit more than ~$700 total into his mini choppers.

I'm highly considering moving to New York, and this could be my cheapest route of using a motorized bike since NY is the only state that has specifically stated motorized bicycles are illegal.

7. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Please explain!

8. sparky

sparky Active Member

Take a look around the Laws & Legislation forum...

First thread about NY linked to this... http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/dmvfaqs.htm#motor

Which states...

"These devices are not allowed on any street, highway, parking lot, sidewalk or other area that allows public motor vehicle traffic. You are subject to arrest if you operate one of these motorized vehicles and do not have a registration, driver license, inspection, insurance or correct equipment. The DMV can not provide any information about operation of these devices on private property. Contact the local authorities and property owners."

9. sparky

sparky Active Member

I love how Gmail so conveniently provided me with a link to this 200cc mini chopper... http://www.scooterdepot.us/200cc-Ch...9.html?gclid=CMOp6u7NoJYCFQWJ1QodyQUViQ#pTab2

I actually approve of the text marketing that Google does. Google gives me ads that I want when I want them... and it only takes me a second to grasp the concept of the ad. I block all other flashy web banners, TV commercials, etc., but Google is definitely up there with word of mouth.

10. brendonv

brendonv Member

they look to much like toys to me.

11. mikesova

mikesova Member

here's a better one:

Kikker 5150 Hardknock Bobber

[​IMG]

made in america with a chinese engine.

12. sparky

sparky Active Member

Where would be the best place to order that from?

I see some places charge $1500... is that including shipping??

Does seem to be of pretty good quality, tho.

13. graucho

graucho Active Member

Hey guys. I ve been building mini's for 10 years. Way before they were popular.
    The cheap china bikes are not safe for the road. They are very small and hard for cars to see. They are fun to go out for a ride though. Id consider them an adult toy. If you build them yourself, thats another story. But there still not safe in heavy traffic.
    I fell in love with them long ago. I built a few full size choppers in my youth. They take months to build. But I can pump out a mini in 3 weeks with a cost of 1,200 and the turn it for a great profit. Im only into experimental bikes now, and of course MB's. No more mini builds to sell.

If you want to see the chineese brands in action go to youtube and type in mini chopper.

One supplier of the kikker5150hardknockbobber.
    http://gokartsusa.com/customorderkikker5150hardknockbobberminichopper.aspx

Attached Files:

14. sparky

sparky Active Member

WOW... I need to buy a welder.

15. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

no pedals, not a motoredbike, i suppose the chopper things have there place? pit bikes & such? i love grouchos bikes can ya ride one & not get a ticket? are they registerd as motorcycles? whats the dealio?

16. the street legality of the mini choppers depends on what state you're in... I could register that in MA as a moped (MA sees mopeds and scooters as the same thing pedals or not) I like the fact that it has lights. I wonder what the size comparison is to a 70's puch moped?

We're all hard for motorists to see, bike, motored bike, or min chopper we are simply not as visible as another car, truck or SUV...

17. Yea I was gonna say the bikes advertised in this thread is nothing like Graucho's just by looking at the specs.
    It says 12 inch front wheel. 10 inch back wheel.
    That's smaller than a kiddie bike with 16 inch wheels!!

18. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Some street legal scooters run 10 inch tires. My street legal Trail Cub has 10 inch Michelins - rated for a whopping 62 mph. The bike itself may hit 60 down a hill, but it will hum along nicely at 50mph all day. (110cc 4 stroke)

I also had a '79 Honda Civic that had 12" tires!

19. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

That "mini chopper" is a toy. It is powered by a 2 cycle 49cc Mitsubishi clone engine. I believe that the choppers the original poster is referring to are powered by 50 or 110cc four stroke engines with 4 speed manual transmissions.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008