Strike 3 Your Out or Homerun????????????

That kit would be about $1425 US. More than the price of a cheep China motorcycle. It's also of low power. You could get a Cadillac Beach Cruiser with NuVinci cvt hub then add an engine that drives through the crank chain for half the price. There are so many options now. I don't see those selling well in the USA.

This is what I got/built:

Check attachments for photos. I got the engine and tranny off of a guy that had it mounted on a go cart, with the idea that if i couldn't get it to work on a bicycle that I could always throw the engine on a friction drive kit. I love this setup. I took it out this morning to stretch her legs, and she hit 30mph on a flat. This thing is only 31cc's and it would eat my 68.5/80cc china kits.

I still have the Gary Fisher. Not sure if I'm going to motorize it or not yet.

This for now hopefully will be my workhorse/daily commuter.

Hopefully it will serve as: Simple, Reliable, Economical Transportation for me.

Thanks for your help,

Attachments

• DSC03743.jpg
    DSC03743.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 306
  • DSC03744.jpg
    DSC03744.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 301
  • DSC03742.jpg
    DSC03742.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 319
  • DSC03739.jpg
    DSC03739.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC03722.jpg
    DSC03722.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 321
Looks very interesting. Can you give some details about that set-up? What engine and transmission is it and an idea of the final gearing you ended up with. Also, what mounting plate you used.
Thanks

Right now I'm at Mc Donalds. I rode it here this morning. It turns out that the gear box is an old Staton 6.9 to 1 right side drive gear box. I didn't know it at the time when I got it. Other people helped identify it in the other forum, and recommended freewheel cranks to transfer the power to the rear wheel.

So I got a 44 tooth chain ring, and a 30 chain ring from SBP, along with there freewheel cranks.

I got a #41 9 tooth output sprocket for the Staton box, that grinded down and cut/filed the teeth to fit 1/2 x 1/8 bmx bicycle chain.

I have a 8 speed cassette on the rear wheel, so my gear ratio is variable from about:

30-to-1 for hill climbing that progressively increases to about 11-to-1 for speed.

I used the bicycles water bottle holes to mount 90 degree aluminum stock, so I wouldn't have to drill thru the bicycle frame. From there I had a piece of 3 inch x 1/4 inch thick aluminum square stock that I had laying around the shop that I mounted the engine to and then mounted it to the 90 degree aluminum stock.

This Staton box is loud, but it seems tough as nails. Hopefully I will not have the problems I had with the china 68.5/80cc kits.

Thanks,

Wow, that's looks like a very good build that provides a great range of gears. I'm basically on my 1nd strike with my HT and broken engine mount, and constant issues. I've already sunk too much into the HT such as buying the SBK shift kit.

I gave up before the 2nd strike and nearly threw together a friction drive within an evening using a 31cc ryobi!

Your design may inspire me to take off the HT engine and shift kit and do something similar to yours since I already have the freewheel crank.

You might wanna make sure you have all your ducks in a row before you try and hammer out a build. This build was built during a crunch time so I didn't have much time to hammer it out and make it up to the mountains for some cooler weather. I'm up in the mountains with the bike minus engine now. The engine casing ripped right in half. I failed to offer the gearbox any additional support and when the chain came off and stuck between the crank arm and chainring, it forced the gearbox downward. The weakest link broke. It was the honda's engine casing. I still have not found a used one to replace it.

Bottomline though. The SBP stuff is good stuff though, it is not ****. It will probably outlast your engine. I ponied up and got the HD White freewheel because I got a good deal on the engine and staton box, and I have/had less money in this with the freewheel cranks from SBP than a New Friction kit would have cost with a quality R/S or Honda engine.

You might wanna try and get a good quality 4 stroke engine with the 76mm centrifugal clutch and one of the 5:1 gearboxes off of ebay that has a 78 mm clutch drum, or check out TWEEK or NEAT TIMES scooterguy build. He can give you some insight into making a/your build happen.

Here are some photos of what my MB looks/looked like. Right now I ride my bike, but it has no engine on it, and I use a bus to carry me up the mountains. I have be searching for a replacement 4 stroke, and hopefully If I brace the gearbox this time, I should not have anymore problems.

Attachments

• DSC03756.jpg
    DSC03756.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 285
  • DSC03758.jpg
    DSC03758.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 285
Bonefish,

From the picture you posted, it appears that you didn't break the case itself on your GX31 - only the mounting housing. This is an easy bolt on part and changing it out is a "10 minute" type of job.

I have an excellent used one I'd be willing to sell you. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. Problem is/was. I'm in North Carolina with my bicycle without a motor on it. The broken Honda gx31 is back in Florida. Will not be making it back to Florida until around Oct. or when it starts getting cold.

Anyhow, went to Harbor Freight today, and was going to buy that 1.5 hp 52cc Gas Auger Drill they have on sale for $159.99. Was going to take off the engine, and sell the rest on ebay. Went in there they didn't have it on display. I asked one of the clerks, and told him my plan, he said why don't you just get the water pump we sell. IT HAS THE SAME ENGINE on it for $99.99!!!!!!. I'm like, let me check it out. So we get to chatting and it turns out he has a returned one in the back that the plastic intake port on it broke, but the engine is like brand new. I tried to get him to sell it to me, but he wouldn't do it. In steps the manager, and I walked out of Harbor Freight today with a whole **** water pump with engine for $40.00.

Not sure if it is going to work, but for $40.00 i took a risk. I don't have the shop up here, but hopefully can make something work.

Anyone have any idea what gas/oil mix ratio i should run in this 2 cycle?

Here are the picts of the whole unit I got for $40.00. Check attachments

Thanks,

Attachments

• DSC03781.jpg
    DSC03781.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 292
  • DSC03782.jpg
    DSC03782.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 254
Buckafu-cka,

I can not get the engine separated from the water pump. Does anyone know how I do it? I do not see any bolts that I can use. There are 4 but they are hidden behind the impeller. Does this unit have a 76mm centrifugal clutch? It looks like it does, but I can not get the waterpump case separated from the engine to find out.

It is a 1.5 hp 52cc engine just like the gas auger drill Harbor Freight sells.

When I turn the impeller, the engine turns over, does it even have a clutch? or is the clutch stuck? it will not separate where the 4 bolts connect.

Please check attachements for picts.

Attachments

• DSC03791.jpg
    DSC03791.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC03792.jpg
    DSC03792.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC03798.jpg
    DSC03798.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC03788.jpg