Chain Tensioner Striped my first thread today adjusting tensioner

jacks_bike

Local time
2:38 PM
Added some friction tape to the bar - started retightening and felt a little slip. Low and behold looks like the chinese bolts are not too good. Had some laying around - now I have a couple extras for the carry on tool kit. - Still not sure if friction tape is the right idea - sticks to itself really well - but dont stick to nuthin else... still need to test the tape....... gonna start switching out bolts most likely on this project... Jack

Attachments

• DSC00393.jpg
    DSC00393.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC00394.jpg
    DSC00394.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC00395.jpg
    DSC00395.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 226
friction tape will not work, and the stock tensioners are junk.
look into making your own tensioner out of an old derailer...it isn't that hard to do.

Most of my threads have come pre-stripped. I kinda like to strip them myself....then I know it's been done right.

Dont think I wanna weld a tensioner on yet. Still looking for the right bike. Allready been looking at junk laying around here trying to cipher a better tensioner. A derailer sounds interesting. I took someones advice here and bought friction tape - so far it held - did bout 6 miles on back bumpy okie roads today. I'm watchin that tensioner REAL close - have some good ol american made bolts on that baby. - Pretty funny Hammond Egger... ha

Be wary of that tape. I've found that tape tends to help the tensioner slip, so instead I ground a cross-hatch pattern onto the contact area of the bracket and fitted two high-tensile bolts/nuts to clamp it really tightly. It never slipped again.
(Got a shift kit now, so the old tensioner and rear sprocket are in the bin - the best place for them.)

Thats a good idea - making a little seat for the bracket. Everything seems to holding well with the friction tape. I have a little mark on the bike frame so if there is any slippage in the minutest I'll see it. If it happens - I'll try that !! These bikes are a blast man...

Back