Stunning Senior Moment

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Zev0, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Zev0

Zev0 Member

A very self-important university freshman from Ottawa
    University took it upon himself to explain to a senior citizen
    standing next to him while waiting for a bus, that it was
    impossible for the older generation to understand his
    generation.

"You grew up in a different world, actually an almost
    primitive one," the student said, loud enough for the other
    passengers nearby to hear.

"The young people of today grew up with television,
    jet planes, space travel, man walking on the moon,
    spaceships visiting Mars. We have nuclear energy, electric
    and hydrogen cars, computers with light-speed processing and .."

Pausing for breath ..the Senior took advantage of the break
    in the student's litany and said:

"You're right, son. We didn't have those things when
    we were young ... so we invented them.

Now, you arrogant little so and so,
    what are you doing for the next generation?"

The applause was resounding.. .

Don't you just love senior citizens!

2. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

So true, Im going to open up a can of worms here but........... most not all the kids I meet today think theyre entitled to the niceties in life and dont even think of the sacrifices and sweat their parents and grandparents invested in to make their lives more enjoyable. With todays economy there a big SHOCK coming very very soon.

3. stude13

stude13 Active Member

i think we all are going to see a different way of life. i agree the young people might have it harder never having paper routes or law mowing routes or the other ways to earn your keep. why when i ------

4. Well one good thing in that story is that the senoir citizen was taking the bus. Down here they drive right up until they are buried. You dont go a month without hearing about a senoir driving thru a store, or plowing down people waiting at a bus stop, or turning in front of a motorcycle...

5. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Seniors have less accidents in proportion compared to other ages.

6. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

The most dangerous drivers, as a class, are young men, ages 16-32. They all seem to think they are 9 feet tall and bullet-proof. Prudence usually comes with age.

7. Yea todays kids have no motivation. They watch MTV and worship the rich kids that go to clubs and want the expensive stuff they have.
    Then we have kids today that commit suicide.
    Why?
    Boredom.

8. SimpleSimon

Sorry, Large, but it isn't "todays kids".

Young men, and to a lesser extent, young women, have ALWAYS been a source of complaint from previous generations. Heck, Cicero made a famous complaint about the drunkenness, debauchery, and wild behavior of Roman youth more than two thousand years ago. Suicides have always been commonest amongst the young, as has envy of those better off economically, although that last seems pretty common amongst all age groups.

Just human nature at work.

9. augidog

augidog Banned

i can live with the generation gap as the reality of gettin' old

...but the stuff's on the shelf now, instead of in the lab, way too easy...young folks aren't paying attention to history & why it's important...

the most important thing history shows us is that societies who don't pay attention to history are doomed.

10. SimpleSimon

No society ever has paid attention to history, they are too busy making it. Most people don't know their own families history, let alone their societies, and frankly most don't care to know. Those who do know it usually develop that interest as adults, oftimes as a direct result of the realization of their own mortality and the investment in the future their children represent.

This is not surprising, given the nature of the human maturation process. We arbitrarily assign an age to various stages of that process, but really, the great majority don't actually mature into "adults" until their mid to late 30's, if then.

11. augidog

augidog Banned

i like that view

maybe that's a good way at looking at what i was trying to say...

maybe it's when a society quits making history that it's doomed...

12. kerf

kerf Guest

"If I have seen further it is by standing on ye sholders of Giants."

Isaac Newton