Substitute for 415 chain- #41

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by HoughMade, Apr 26, 2008.

1. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Not wanting to wait for a half link for my 415 chain and hearing from others that a #41 chain works fine, I went down to Tractor Supply Company and bought a 10 foot length of #41 for $14 and a half link (actually a package of three) for $4.

Long story short, it works great! The pitch is the same 1/2". The roller diameter is the same 5/16". The side plates are slightly thinner, but the outside width of the chain is the same as 415. There is about 1/16" wider inside measurement, but appears not to be a problem at all.

To me, there are some advantages-

1. You can get #41 anywhere and you can get #41 half links and master links anywhere. If you don't have a close TSC, try any small engine shop or anyplace that sells minibikes or go-karts.

2. 10' of #41 cost about $14 (no shipping because you can get it anywhere). I looked at several of the usual suspects and most charged about $20 for a 59" 415. One retailer charged about $15, but it is still only 59". For the cost of a master link, you can get 2 chains out of the 10', $14, #41 easy. If you use 2 different sprockets, you can have a ready made chain for each.

3. Worried about the strength? A #41 has an average tensile strength of 2,000 lbs. A 415 has an average tensile strength of 1,600 lbs.

4. I have heard the 415s (the ones that come with the kits) stretch quite a bit. I have never heard this about standard #41 and it has been used on minibikes and go-karts for generations.

In case you cannot tell- I'm a big fan of #41.

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

As a matter of fact, I'm running two #41 master links in each of two bikes with no problem yet. Got 'em at TSC
  3. fatboy67

fatboy67 Member

Thanks mate

Thanks I'll try that as I like the half link bit
  4. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Thats some prooven great advice and thanks Houghmade. Saved some money for all of us.
  5. turkeyssr

turkeyssr Guest

Okay, where is 'TSC'. Is there a web site?
  6. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

7. hargie12

hargie12 New Member

Didn't look where you're from, but #41 chain can be bought in about any farm supply store. Tractor Supply, Rural King, my home depot sells them...You can also find them easily at a Power Sports store ( anybody who sells motorcycles, mopeds etc.)
  8. D_M

D_M Member

For some reason I had trouble digging this up in the site search (found info about #41 elsewhere, and got back here with Google).

Just what I needed though, thanks!
  9. TheMotheMan

TheMotheMan New Member

Ok bringing up a dead subject here. Wouldn't #40 chain be more suited for engine applications? The difference between #40 and #41 in chain size is only the roller diameter, #41 is .306 and #40 is .312, however the major differences come in strength and load. The #40 chain has a strength of 3,125 lbs and a working load of 810 lbs, where your #41 is only 1500 lbs strength and a working load of only 500 lbs. I would think if you are going up hills and/or pulling some kind of trailer you would maybe want a more robust chain? IMO a #40 chain is better than the #41 as the 41 is a lightweight chain. This info comes right from the ANSI B29 standards. I am just looking for some input from you guys.
  10. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

The standards are correct...I could run a solid steel bar frame too, but it just ain't necessary. I'll let you know when the #41 breaks...don't expect that post any time soon.
  11. TheMotheMan

TheMotheMan New Member

awesome. I'll have to get me some 41 from TSC
  12. rod

rod Guest

Ive been running a 1/2 x 1/8 bmx chain for about about 400km with a few good hills
    i had to grind the front sprocket to make it narrower and the chain is probably getting a bit stretched (hav'nt looked at it for a while) but is definetly Very smooth and better acceleration compared to the 415 i didn't know about the #40 #41
    but i'll check em out
  13. Tinsmith

Tinsmith New Member

I have been running 41 chain since the start because the chain included with the kit was too short. It's a bit wider, but I haven't had any problems with it. Good Luck
  14. pdxrhett

pdxrhett Member

Chains don't "stretch." Read sheldon brown's site about chains. The rollers wear out, and that only happens in old chains. Newer chains dont have bushings to wear out the rollers.
  15. azbill

azbill Active Member

"Chains don't "stretch.""
    have you used a stock kit chain ???:confused:
  16. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

That's why we LOVINGLY call our standard HT chains Stretch-O-Matic...u can practically put them in the sun & watch them stretch. :grin5:
  17. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

My 415 now serves as a bracelet....and it still stretches.
  18. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

Tha was funny Houghmade... that is a very good one liner!
  19. Stink Bike

Stink Bike Member

Australian Chain Supplier??

Does anyone know where an alternative to the 415 chain can be purchased in Sydney Australia?
  20. wbuttry

wbuttry Member

if its a bit wider than the 415 wouldnt it scrape the sides of the wall where it goes around the motor cog my 415 already scrapes it already and left gashes in it