Suddenly no spark!

ilovenxtage

Local time
3:21 AM
I was rerouting my electrical wires from the cdi to the engine for a smoother look, and after I re connected everything, I tried to start the engine and it would not start. I'm not getting any spark at all. I checked and re checked all my connections and everything is connected right and there are no short circuits. I took the side plate off my engine and the pick up coil is all dis-coloured. It looks like its burned. I don't know how that might happen. The engine was running ok before I re routed the wires. Oh, its a 66cc Chinese engine.

the magneto coil often looks that way brand new - do a search on this forum for ohm readings on the coil & CDI to check them, but I'd guess that one of your wires may have a break somewhere along its length or bad connection

I've checked the connections and they are fine, but I don't think it's a coincidence that it was right after I re routed the electrical connections.

moving the wires probably completed a break in one of the wires.
disconnect one of the wires coming from the stator coil and put an ohmmeter on the two wires from it to see that the wires conduct and that the coil is OK. Any resistance reading is good.

There is the possibility that one of the solder joints on the magneto needs to be resoldered. A lot of them seem to come from the factory with poor soldering, I've had several break loose while routing the wires. It's a simple fix.

It's running again. It was a loose connection on the magneto. The problem I was having with the engine cutting out under load has also stopped. It's still four stroking like crazy though.

Back