Suffer Depression ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by robin bird, Jan 12, 2010.

1. robin bird

robin bird Member

With many of us not being able to ride every day do any suffer depression and how do you deal with it ?? i will give my personal solutions as this thread progresses.

2. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

I'll tell you how I think some people should deal with their boredom here!:ee2k:
    Just being funny and couldn't resist!

I find myself pacing.

Ugh Oh, a Mod just entered the room:whistling:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  3. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

I ski and snowboard in the winter to keep active. When spring somes around, the MB and motorcycles will come out to play.

Depression? Hardly! There are always things to be done to keep you from going stir crazy. Maybe a new MB build during the winter. Go to the gym and work out. Build a model. (I like RC models :) ) Learn a language. Learn to play a musical instrument. So little time and so much to do!

4. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Depressed? Not me.

hahahaha
    you musta smelled me coming..... :ack2:

funny you should mention....I've been looking at dulcimers for a couple days.
    check out what this guy can do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugyUXC6L_c0 he starts playing at 1 minute & "tears it up" in the 2nd minute.

On topic... I rode my bike today !! (It's been cold and slick for a couple weeks.)
    (It was a round trip of 1/2 mile..... to the liquor store.
    gotta a 12 pack & a 1/2 pint of KD........ I feel better already. :cheers2: )

Find some FUN!!!!!!

5. mikem

mikem Member

Help someone else. :grin:

6. Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt Member

you guys are weak, i ride all winter, and its -19 at times if you include the windchill. just dress warm.

7. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I understand that some people suffer from depression but i don't understand how it is is possible.

From my perspective, i just evaluate a situation and then go about solving the problem.
    If i were to feel depressed then the solution would be to watch something that made me laugh so hard my teeth rattled loose from their mountings, like the video below

I couldn't stop laughing for three days.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5323828093493200291#

8. kerf

kerf Guest

I know what you mean, I've often made myself feel good by making fun of the handicapped and less fortunate. Jamming a stick into the spokes of a wheelchair can be great fun too. Ugh!!!!!!

9. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I don't understand the direction of your comment kerf

I find humor in the fact that he can get away with his highly inappropriate behaviour and he knows his behaviour is highly inappropriate, even though he may not have full control over his actions.
    This is evident in the video where he has a conflict with the janitor of a local school, and i will say it is a truly comedic video.

Where did you see me post anything ridiculing or belittling people with a handicapped condition or would even infringe on their personal mobility.
    If that's what you are implying, then i'm afraid you've misjudged my attitude towards the mentally or physically impaired.

Kind regards

Fabian

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  10. kerf

kerf Guest

Yeah, right, check.

11. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I'm hoping i am wrong but I somehow detect the gentle sound of skepticism in your reply.

Anyway, it's off-topic, so better to end it here

Fabian

12. retromike3

retromike3 Member

meanwhile back on earth

I have found that if I ride my trainer for twenty minutes a day It makes life a lot easier to deal with.
    P.S. that is, not motorized. If I rode my motor bike in my single car garage for a half hour all of my problems would go away for ever.
    exercise=life Brought to you buy Endorphin "the good drug"

Mike Frye the bike guy

13. robin bird

robin bird Member

To counterac depression (often caused by our winter low cloud gloom) i dress up real warm and go out on my bike --it has studded tires--if it is too cold --minus 15-- i go hiking or for walks. I also listen to old doo- wop music

14. kerf

kerf Guest

The smell of burning double based nitrocellulose hanging in the morning air brings comfort to my soul. Then again, I just could be a little crazy.

15. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Just a little? :jester:

16. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

That was really enjoyable Dave. Ya know what it was, It was his artistic expression of the song. Not so much his timming or ability to hit the notes but the way he played it! He'll be real good if he keeps with it!!! I'd love to hear him play that in 20 more years!

17. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

Depression??? Not enough time - too much else happening, Summer, Winter, day, night, no difference.
    Days should be a minimum 30 hours long.

... Steve

18. retromike3

retromike3 Member

I miss the son

Even with my roller riding I sometime have trouble getting "up" this time of year. I don't see any light till about 7:45 am and it all goes away at 5:00 pm.

My main problem is that I am night blind and I have trouble living in the burbs. When I was living in Portland they had these things called "street lights" and they had quite a few per city block. In the part of Beaverton I live in now they don't really don't have a organized set up for street lighting. So I am kind of trapped in my "townhouse" cubical in a part of town were no one talks to each other.

One of the most important things in this part of town is what type of new Jetta or BMW Audi you have (must be this years model or else) and although I own seven bicycles and one motorbicycle, I do not own a car.

Man It would be nice to just be able to jump on my bike and go without having to check all my gear like helmet, gloves, cycling shorts, worm ups sweeter, gor-tex jacket helmut and all of my diabetic stuff before I even look at the bike. I have a pretty good charger for my 40w lights but I don't have a indicator that will tell me when the battery is about to fail. This is a new system That I got on sale at performance (I think I know why now) It takes nine hours to charge the battery pack but there is no auto cut -off so you can damage the system if you leave it on to long. and when it finally drains its last bit of energy it just dies. So there I was in the middle of the road its ten at night and I have just made a left turn in the dark and super duper 40 w. system quits on me

good for me I had a cheep flashlight and I was only three blocks from home.

I think the way I am going to get my mood up a bit more is to make my lights a bit more user friendly and build a device that wont let me do that again.

Maybe if I can get out of this prison of the soul for pedestrians and cyclists I wont be so depressed

Mike-Frye the sad bike guy

19. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Depression?

Yeah, I deal with depression. This time of year especially. It isn't weather related - as far as I am concerned this is the best season here, but personal-issue related. January 2nd was the ninth anniversary of my wife's murder, and the whole month of December and then January is a period of deepening gloom that gradually lifts.

There are other issues as well, but that's the main one. I have dealt with other episodes of depression in my life in decades past, but this one doesn't seem to ever get any better. Anniversary effect is a stone b1tch.

20. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

I'm so sorry to hear that, SimpleSimon. I'm sort of lost for words. I can understand why you'd be depressed this time of year.
    My sympathy, buddy.

...Steve