Suffering the 'Internet Server Down' blues

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by KCvale, Jun 15, 2013.

1. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

For some people these days it's not being able to get to Facebook or there smart phone is having issues or god forbid they lost it.

For me a cable Internet connection from my PC is like that, but the real torture is when my Internet Server is down.

I have several web sites on my own kick butt fast dedicated server and when it's down it essentially puts ALL of my business and most of my internet social life on hold.

Happy Fathers Day ;-}

2. Stoltzee

Stoltzee Member

Seems like its down right now 6/16/2013. You haven't listed your location, sooooo. Have the cable guy bring you a new modem. They need to
    be upgraded because of the new technology thing. Also let the cable guy use his connections, and splitters. The connections with the rubber seal solve some problems, and their splitters have tiny circuit boards in them. I tried doing the cables myself, and after spending money on the highest GHz splitters we still had problems; 3 PCs, 1 phone, and a pad or 2 at times. Mostly it was the outdated modem though. Haven't had a problem since.
  3. LR Jerry

LR Jerry Well-Known Member

Yeah KC I've tried to log onto your forum and once in awhile it says the server is down. I hate it when that happens.
  4. KCvale

I have a pretty awesome fast dedicated Windows 2008 Enterprise server box sitting in a room in Norway connected to big fat fiber internet connection for my web sites and picture hosting I can control remotely.

There is an issue with the fiber provider so internet is currently cut off. Nothing in, nothing out from the box.
    Being over 5,000 miles away from the server I can't go look at it myself my friends that provide it will handle it for me and I should be up this afternoon.

You got to love good friends ;-}
  5. Stoltzee

Stoltzee Member

Norway's like one of the most beautiful country's there is. If I was there I probably wouldn't communicate also. lol
  6. KCvale

Finally, after a week I'm back up, I was Jonesing hehehe ;-}
  7. rahul.kapoor

rahul.kapoor New Member

Yeah, there is also a problem in internet, internet speed is too slow to load a thread and post reply on it. May be, it is a problem with service provider. Hope so to get it fast soon.
  8. KCvale

My server is purring along just dandy again but I have a minute so here are just some Internet basics for your amusement ;-}

Internet speed for a user and for the server they are accessing are 2 different things, then there is the 'internet' speed itself, it's not like you have a single wire from your computer to internet server in the world, every web page send out to your monitor goes out in as a bunch of 'packets' through any number of transfer stations even along different wires until they all reach the software you are using to be reassembled.

The more 'switches' and different 'roads' all those different packets take the slower the net is to you, and that is on top of the servers load and bandwidth and what your provider limits you to use, and finally how fast your machine can get all those packets, put them together, and then get them displayed.

I could go on for a chapter in a book about how computers connected before the Internet and World Wide Web and starting at 300 bits per second over a phone call connection was a boon and then each tiny little progression in speed was hailed as a breakthrough like 1,024 bits, then 2,400 bits until copper twisted pair phone system wire topped 56,000 bits per second.
    30,000,000 bits per second are common cable speeds and my servers fiber has 560,000,000 bits per second out and 1,000,000,000 bit per second input speed.

I doubt there is a single user here using a dial-up connection, we all enjoy gobs of speed and like you I love speed and always want more ;-}

My point with that is you might want to look back just 15 years if you never have, 'The Time BEFORE Internet' was an interesting that goes back to the dawn of time, when computers started to need to to 'talk' to each other from far away, and what you can do now rivals anything that changed history in the past so enjoy being be a part of the just the beginning of it.
  9. Stoltzee

Stoltzee Member

In the states here my wireless came through the phone line, and was actually pretty fast maybe faster than the cable I have now, and the banks use Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM), because it provides functionality that is similar to both circuit switching and packet switching networks: ATM uses asynchronous time-division multiplexing,[4][5] and encodes data into small, fixed-sized packets (ISO-OSI frames) called cells. This differs from approaches such as the Internet Protocol or Ethernet that use variable sized packets and frames.
    Of course the military has the fastest communications, and will use the phone lines when needed probably because twisted wire is more dedicated.