Suggestions for a day trip...

Warner

Local time
8:16 AM
Here's my situation: My entire family (except me) is taking a vacation during the kids Spring Break in late March. I'm staying home take care of the house/dogs, etc. I am hoping to plan some fun day trips on the MAB. I would be willing to transport the bike in my car to a nearby destination if necessary. I want to take a several hour trip on the bike, but can't make it an overnighter (doggie day care, remember?). So does anyone have any suggestions for a fun trip in the suburban Chicago area? Anyone interested in a group ride sometime?

Let me know and thanks,

Warner

Something along the lake....Michigan, that is, would be nice. To make that practicla, that would put you in Northwest Indiana....but I live here and I have not done that trip.

Don't know, but if you end up with a group ride, keep us posted.

Something along the lake....Michigan, that is, would be nice. To make that practicla, that would put you in Northwest Indiana....but I live here and I have not done that trip.

Don't know, but if you end up with a group ride, keep us posted.

Will do. I'm thinking anything along the lake would be pretty congested. I'd be more interested in something more remote...out in the country. I thought about that Wisconsin Cheese Trail....that might be doable. But my thing is I have to be back in time to let the dogs out.....12 hours would be the absolute limit on away time....

Warner

Will do. I'm thinking anything along the lake would be pretty congested. I'd be more interested in something more remote...out in the country. I thought about that Wisconsin Cheese Trail....that might be doable. But my thing is I have to be back in time to let the dogs out.....12 hours would be the absolute limit on away time....

Warner

I agree about the congestion, that's why I was thinking of the National Lakeshore. You know Illinois better than I do...one thing about the Prairie State- few hills.

I agree about the congestion, that's why I was thinking of the National Lakeshore. You know Illinois better than I do...one thing about the Prairie State- few hills.

Yeah...I don't know....I'm thinking about heading out from my house and heading due West, out towards Rockford perhaps. There are some relatively lightly traveled stretches of nice roads once you get about 5 miles from downtown Elgin. I may plan a day trip out that way and see how it goes. It would be nice to have someone to ride along with me......I don't really know anyone in my area with an MAB besides me....

Warner

I've been keeping up with statelines crossed....think its 14 or 15 now.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bamabikeguy/StatelinesCrossed

I was keeping up with these various courthouses, may have pix of 30-40 of them. There are 63 counties in Alabama, and I have X'd about 45-50, with all these nowhere corners to fill in (as in never)...Alfa is having a contest, some couple on Vespa scooters, is trying to visit them all in a year.

You could throw a dart, start at the town nearest that dart, and see how many county lines or courthouses you can hit in one day.

That's also your alibi if some po po stops you, you're in a sweepstakes, like the Bubblegum 1000.

How many miles do you reckon you could do in 5-8 hours?

I've been keeping up with statelines crossed....think its 14 or 15 now.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bamabikeguy/StatelinesCrossed

I was keeping up with these various courthouses, may have pix of 30-40 of them. There are 63 counties in Alabama, and I have X'd about 45-50, with all these nowhere corners to fill in (as in never)...Alfa is having a contest, some couple on Vespa scooters, is trying to visit them all in a year.

You could throw a dart, start at the town nearest that dart, and see how many county lines or courthouses you can hit in one day.

That's also your alibi if some po po stops you, you're in a sweepstakes, like the Bubblegum 1000.

How many miles do you reckon you could do in 5-8 hours?

Well I'm sure I could do over 100 miles in that time, as long as I didn't stop anywhere for more than a half hour or so. Averaging 20 mph (which should be EASY) would yield that, even with 3 hours of stops.

I am looking at a map and thinking I'll just leave from my house and head out somewhere....not sure WHERE yet, but it would be nice to have some intended destinations....

Warner

Back