"Sun Metal Products-1982" front drum...questions

Discussion in 'Spare Parts, Tools & Product Developement' started by gone_fishin, Oct 10, 2007.

1. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

well, here it is!! what a mondo-wheel, regardless of the brake...7/16" axle, huge ?g spokes...a real beauty of an upgrade :)

i have to modify the dropouts to take the huge axle & i'll have to fab an arm-anchor. i won't be able to do that until my buddy don gets back into town...4 days of staring at it with a stoopid dreamy look on my face :lol:

it seems the "works" belong on the right side...but can it be mounted in either direction?

this is such a cool piece of bicycle memorabilia, marked "Sun Metal Products-1982"/V.905...anyone have any idea what "vehicle" it was produced for?

a major THANK-YOU to the guy(s) who helped me round this up!!! :D :D

Attached Files:

2. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

Hey,

from looking at mine I think they are sided - ie it'll only work the way its set up to work (left side or right side)... but its probably worth experimenting...

good luck with it

Jemma xx

3. azbill

azbill Active Member

when I bought my sturmey archer XFD front drum, I called sturmey and the tech told me it didn't matter which way it was oriented, but the conventional side was left (same side as coaster arm)
    I have used it both ways (on the chopper and the mtn bike), and never had a problem
    as to the maker...possibly sun bicycles?

4. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

5. azbill

azbill Active Member

always good when you can answer your own question :D
    hope my other stuff helped you

6. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i still don't know any more than that, but i found it interesting.

yes, both you and jemma have helped, by being positive...i think if i have a look inside i can figure out if i can reverse the rotation...i'd like to make use of the existing lug on the whizzer forks if i can.

7. ocscully

ocscully Member

Drum Brake Wheel

All of the drum brakes I've ever come across can be used on either side. They are really very simple mechanisms inside consisting of two brake shoes,
    and a return spring. the actuator arm on the outside rotates a cam on the inside to spread the shoes against the drum. Looking at the photos it appears to me that you opted for a wheel that was originally rear mounted (short slotted brake anchor arm). You should have no trouble modifing this to work with the existing achor location on the Whizzer Fork. The brake cable routing will be in front of the fork leg as the brake is currently set up but even that can be easily switched back to the rear of the fork. I'm sure you will have no trouble accomplishing these changes.

ocscully

8. DougC

DougC Guest

Normally the pivot of the brake-actuating arm points "forward", and the cable-end of the arm is backwards--but they will work either way.

The Worksman I have and a few others I've seen online were "reversed", and generally mounted with the cable & arm on the left side (opposite the pedal chain, that is...).
    ~

9. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

hey, 'scully.

i'm positive you're right about what i'm gonna find inside (many yrs experience running an independant "fair muffler" shop in st. charles MO) but you'll notice i'm never shy about asking the right question before i go a'guessing, i'm very new to working on bicycles at this level of required expertise :)

when i'm finished working those shoes and drum, it'll be smooth as can be, but i'll say this...no way i'm gonna mod this beauty piece, i can make the adaptors i need no problem...

and i bet you can understand me if i say i feel pretty tickled that i'll be riding around the country on such a fine example of "Made In USA"... :cool:

doug, thanks for the worksman input. i'm sure the two are quite similar in design, too. i'll put some pics up and you can tell me :)

10. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

brand new, forgot to mention that. it seems it just sat somewhere for a long long time before it found it's way thru someone else to me.

reversable, which clears the way for whatever i wanna do. it'll clean up real nice.
    Mvc-732f.jpg
    a shot o' brake-cleen is in order, but i think i got me a great set of stoppers here:
    Mvc-733f.jpg
    interesting tho is the threads tell me the inside of this drum maybe hasn't seen daylight in the whole 25 years, and there's no sign of there ever being a sprocket involved...a quick-change front, maybe?

11. azbill

azbill Active Member

excellent score there Augi
    there's that karma deal again :D
    good on ya man !!!

btw... when I came down the mountain (24 miles) at the death race on the deviate (very heavy bike, only the drum for brakes), I never felt any fade at all :shock:
    and I was definitely flyin' :lol:

12. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

oh, i hearya, and i also know i'm not the only one gettin' what he gives, bill...bicycle-karma rocks!

and you already know almost exactly half of my traveling is steep downhill. i have to confess now...besides the brake, this wheel itself is gonna make it so i can really get into those downhills, what a treat that's gonna be :)

hey, DougC...is this what you expected to see? is it similar to a worksman? you have a pic?

anyone else have anything similar, or more info & hopefully pics about what they do have?

13. azbill

azbill Active Member

here is a pdf with blow up of sturmey archer front and rear
    I know it's not what you have, but it gives a pic of similar equipment
    I am looking for info tho and will keep at it( I am a persistant guy, who knows the info is out there hiding from me :lol:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  14. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

very similar, only differences being advances in materials i think, thanks.

i have searched and looked at hundreds of bicycle and light motorcycle pics...

i think what i have here is an original "sun metal products inc. 6 82" steel rim (a nice clincher, too) custom-laced to a light motorcycle drum of the era. it has the surface-scarring of sitting around for years, but it is unused, and i believe the whole assembly's authentic period equipment.

i feel like grandma must feel when she finds a neat old saucer and cup to add to her collection, i get good vibes from this wheel & i can't wait to feel the ride :)

15. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

Mvc-746f.jpg

i'm speechless with riding joy :D

sorry about the dark pic. tomorrow i'll take some better ones & tell all of the new stuff in one thread, i'm just gonna have to figure out where to put it...i think the GEBE doods are about to have some company over in "Rack'Em" :cool:

16. azbill

azbill Active Member

man that wheel just looks proper on that fork
    all whizzer and heavy-duty for the big guy :D

17. My Worksman trike Locks up on the right side but not the left. Also my pull is on the opposite side of the drum as your bottom pull actuator. if it (the actuator arm and adjstr ancor) was mounted on the left it would be in the front of the hub mine only works facing to the rear.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2008
  18. augidog

augidog Banned

i do believe that the right-side mount was intended, the actuator-arm trails backwards, smooth operation...so far, a couple thousand miles have proven the install as correct :cool:

19. Jakylpops

Jakylpops New Member

It's from a wheel chair lololololololol
    lololol

Sun Metal is a company that is or WAS (not sure if they're still in business) in the town I grew up in, Warsaw Indiana.

Hate to burst your bubble, but I don't recall hearing anything about them making bicycle or motorcycle wheels...just lots and lots of wheelchairs lolol.

20. augidog

augidog Banned

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008