Tubes Super Glue Used for a Rubber Tire Patch

S

Smallwheels

Has anyone used super glue on a rubber tire patch successfully? My little rubber cement tubes have gone dry. I do have plenty of super glue around. My local bicycle shop doesn't have any tubes of glue for sale. They have switched over their bicycle section to winter sports now and won't be ordering bicycle related products until next spring.

Tire patching has always puzzled me ... Even though Ca. has the highest prices anywhere in the country, a 26x2.125 tube is only about $3.00 ... I can't even get Crazyglue here for that price, and since the whole removal and replacement is the same why not just get yourself a new tube ... plus, those old tubes cut up make dandy gripping bands of any width, vibration dampers and base pads for projects.

Superglue, or any cyanoacrylate, is not a good adhesive to use for patching a tire because it dries in a brittle state. Over time, the glue will crack and the rubber patch will not be airtight anymore.

If possible, use any fast drying rubber cement that dries in a flexible state, able to flex with the tire and tube as you ride over bumps. The cement does not have to be extremely strong since the air pressure will push the tube against the inside of the tire.

In addition to a local bike shop, rubber cement for bike tires can be found at general sporting goods stores like REI.

Fixed It

I knew about rubber cement. It is the same stuff in the bicycle repair kits. Since I couldn't get any little tubes of cement I bought a bottle of rubber cement and used it. I've done it before years ago and it worked fine.

I have PLENTY of patches because all the cement from the kits run out long before all the patches get used.

I was just hoping that I could save some money by using what already was in my tool kit. Now I have this bottle of rubber cement that will not ever be used up unless I take up some type of craft hobby.

Thank you all for your information. It is good to know that super glue is brittle. I probably would have noticed that it wasn't working had I tried using it.

Rubber cement is not the same as cold vulcanizing solution ( the stuff that comes in tire patch kits) When rubber cement dries up it turns into rubber like substance, when cold vulcanizing solution dries up it disappears. FYI the trick to making patches stick is to let the glue (cold vulcanizing solution) dry completely before applying the patch. You can also apply a second layer of glue (CVS) after the first layer dries, again allowing the second layer to dry completely. I usually rub some dust like substance over the patched area to keep the patched area from sticking to the inside of the tire.

Back