Super Heavy Duty Wheels ! ! ! !

• Thread starter the wheelmaster
  • Start date
One wheel or two?

Im slowly building up my bike so I can just throw a motor on it and not have to deal with all the mechanical problems Ive been reading about. So Im wondering, could I get away with just a rear SuperWheel? or should I get both wheels done up? I need my mobike to last through it all b/c Ive decided to make it my primary mode of transportation..

Just my opinion, I feel like the back wheel is crucial because it's so much more ddifficult to replace. It usually has whatever linkage there is to the motor. And it undergoes a lot more stress than the front. If it breaks, you're dead in the water until it is replaced. The front wheel can usually be replaced easily, so I wouldn't bother with it.

It's almost always the Rear wheel that is the problem, so yes, you can get away with just one !

Two or only two

But of course it wouldn't hurt my feelings if you did both ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Mercury. How about posting an intro? It's a little easier to give advice when we know a little about what you ride, and your level of mechanical ability, etc.

My apologies Van. I got so excited with the prospect of these wheels that I completely forgot to introduce myself! (Which I have now done) I forgot to mention in my intro that I have a Mechanical Engineering degree and am quite adept with a vernier caliper..;)

My Sturmey-Archer dynamo/brake front superwheel got delivered today! Woo-Hoo!

Got to pick up a tube & get the tire mounted, then wait for my knee to heal (arthoscopic surgery for torn meniscus,) & I'm ready to roll.

Hmm, If only you were in Oz, I'd get you to build me one in a heartbeat! Wonder if there is anyone in Australia (preferably Sydney) who'd be willing to do the job!

I have built wheels for people in Oz before, the shipping is spendy, problem is I don't know of anyone else who cuts and threads their own spokes, if you can find a wheelbuilder who does more than just assemble wheels from pre-bought spoke kits then your on the right path, AND, they need to be a motorcycle wheelsmith to get the #10 gauge spokes, if you come up empty, lets talk about just haveing the wheel shipped here, do you have UPS in Oz ?

Back