Chain Tensioner super simple alternative to cheap chain tensioner

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by linnix13, May 28, 2009.

1. linnix13

linnix13 Banned

i made a tensioner by cutting up a block of UHMW. it is very very effective and indistructible. for the first 100km it was very rough and loud but i have 3000km on it since and never had a single problem, it set in to the chain perfectly!

Attached Files:

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

I don't understand. Just what is that material?

And is the chain simply running along, wearing a groove in it?

3. linnix13

linnix13 Banned

its UMHW and its an ultra resistant friction proof plastic synthetic used in huge industrial machines. i used a band saw to cut out a groov and then run the chain through it. the jaged edges get worn down smooth and then there is no resistance on the chain. i have run 3000km through this thing and never had a problem. it also will not melt. its rough for the first few kms you run with it until its set then its smoother than a wheel!

4. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

UHMW = Ultra High Molecular Weight plastic. It is a form of plastic with a polymer chain weight in the 100's of thousands of Daltons, and is a self lubricating bearing surface used in chain conveyors and other applications where metal drags across it. It can be worked with ordinary woodworking tools - cut, lathed, etc to just about any shape you need. Most woodworking supply houses sell rolls of it in the form of tape, about 1/32 inch thivk and an inch wide - it makes great drawer slides, table slides, and guide faces for bandsaws. It is also availabe in just about any size/thickness sheet you might want.

Great stuff.

5. 2stroketech

2stroketech New Member

It also works great for custom intakes. It is fuel resistant and isolates the carburetor really well. You can find it on ebay.

6. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Member

7. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Member

I've made a new chain tentioner out of an old Derailier gear cog sleeved it and it fits strait onto the stock plate. Works a treat, no chain noise and runs smooth as.

8. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

I had a Yamaha 500cc thumper
    it used it on the chain tensioner
    used when I bought it
    used when I sold it

that plastic looking stuff holds up very well -- super smooth also

the chains glide over those things

MM

9. cosworth

cosworth Member

Any chance you could provide pictures of your custom installation?