suspended leaning trike

plans????

this is what I need ... do you have any plans????

will it hold a cargo box on the rear?

this is what I need ... do you have any plans????

will it hold a cargo box on the rear?

no, sorry i had no plans to go by. i did draw up parts as i went just so i didn't have to remember dimentions as i was milling and drilling but those all went in the trash. if you want to know anything exact i could measure it and post it for you. i started with 16 ft of 1 1/4 .125 wall sq tube fabed a pivot for below the mono shock. i used 2" bearing races in the pivot box from old bikes but would change that to the newer smaller style if i did it over again. the springs that the front pivot is attached to are trailer springs from FF that i matched for lenght then stripped all the helper springs from. i have to go eat but to answer your other question i am planning on putting a container of some kind over the shock, just so i can carry my cooler to work and maybe a few tools.

I think yu should draw up some plans and sell em.

What is the tuning fork looking thing sticking out the front for?

It looks like it maybe easyer to build with cargo box , with out the shock....

the tuning fork was going to be a fold down steering yolk until i decided the outrigger steeing would be better. i am going to keep the yolk for now but will shorten it. you can use your knees to help steer when your hands are on the outrigger controls. the trike would be much easier to build without suspention. the cargo box would be fairly easy for light loads. as for plans, let me finish the build and test ride it. could be something in the geometry i overlooked will make it impractical or unuseable. but i very much appreciate your interest.

a friend came over and helped me with the wiring today and we should finish tomarrow. then it will be time for a TEST RIDE!

How much does it weigh?

i'd guess about 145-150 lbs i can lift it but its a grunt. what i need is a bathroom scale to put under each wheel or take it to the city dump were they have a drive on scale. it won't matter unless the motor breaks down away from home.

wiring almost done. motor cranks, plug has spark, head lights and brake light work. now i just need to make a tail light bracket, tidy up the wiring and fix or change the gas tank. sometime during the wiring the outlet on my cheap plastic tank got broke. it does not look repairable to me. any ideas. if not i can pull and rinse the tank on my 2 cycle bike and make an adaptor to mount to the trike. oh yeah and buy a battery charger. the trike battery is very low and my old charger has seemed to have taken a walk.

Attachments

• motoredbikePictures 050.jpg
    motoredbikePictures 050.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 411
  • motoredbikePictures 051.jpg
    motoredbikePictures 051.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 413
  • motoredbikePictures 053.jpg
    motoredbikePictures 053.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 414
  • motoredbikePictures 052.jpg
    motoredbikePictures 052.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 382
i think i've got the tank fixed. drilled out plastic, threaded then installed a brass fitting with permatex on the threads. looks good. will let it dry while working on the wiring then put the tank back on and check for leaks.

Attachments

• motoredbikePictures 054.jpg
    motoredbikePictures 054.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 390
Last edited by a moderator:
1st test ride read closely

the good news: the gas tank fix worked, no leak, the motor started almost immediatly, ran smoothly and quitely. the motor gearing dos'nt seem to be too low so as of now i have no plans to change gearing. the brake worked very well stopping me quickly, smoothly and in a straight line. the suspention seemed good and should keep me comfy. now the bad news. the steering is not ready. it works well at low speeds but resists tight turns at speed. it still turns, just not quick enough to avoid an unexspected dog. first fix i will try is to lengthen my leansteer rod (8" long rod connected to spring bracket.)making it longer will give me less lean but i believe more leverage to steer. if i have to i will redo the steering so the leaning aspect is seperate form the steering. the other bad thing was i broke one of my idlers and had to remove the front peddle chain to ride home. the idlers i think i can fix and strengthen easily. so as a recap. motor very good. steering bad, comfort good, brakes very good, peddle chain bad. pics from before test

Attachments

• motoredbikePictures 055.jpg
    motoredbikePictures 055.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 414
  • motoredbikePictures 058.jpg
    motoredbikePictures 058.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 495
Back