Suspension fork on beach cruiser?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by loquin, Apr 16, 2008.

1. loquin

loquin Active Member

Has anyone tried putting a mountain-bike style suspension fork on a beach cruiser? What kinds of difficulties did you encounter?

2. Zev0

Zev0 Member

I have both. But I would hate tearing my Giant apart to see if they would work. I know, it would certainly be a lot more comfortable and smoother then the springers on my cruiser.

3. azbill

azbill Active Member

most mountain bike forks are for threadless headsets
    most cruiser bikes have threaded headsets
    you can buy mtb forks for threaded headsets
    I almost bought one till I saw zev0's black springer at the spookytooth rally last month
    man...those black forks look good on my Jaguar :D

4. reclaimer

reclaimer Guest

If you look around you'll find some that you can buy the fork bottom then pick your steerer tube.

edit lol 2 months ago I had links to 2 places that sold them , think I can find one right now?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2008
  5. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Lou, years ago the local bike shop installed a Rockshox fork onto my girlie cruiser bike. It was an expensive option, also needed a different headset. That was one of the best things I did on the bike.

Now I'm trying to mount a front-engine onto my bike's suspension fork.:ee2k:

6. loquin

loquin Active Member

Won't need one now. About a month ago, got a Trek navigator. :cool2: Smoooooth.

7. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Interesting subject though.
    I'de like to hear from someone myself whose done this cos i'm just about to do it myself & am wondering if i'm planning the best/simplest/strongest method.

8. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Back when I rescued Rusty (& friends), from that yard sale...I put on a suspension fork, with a 1" threaded steertube, from a Next bike.
    Nothing fancy or expensive. but I thought it looked kinda cool.
    the fork lasted a few years, but finally wore out.

If you don't have to have the Best...there are lots of suspension forks, with threaded steertubes.
    & I never seem to have a shortage of donor bikes.

Pedal power only
    000_0456.jpg 000_0425.jpg

:eek:fftopic:
    Dec. 2003, No wonder Rusty is rusty!!
    000_0254.jpg

all motored up, Nov. 2004
    Rusty2.jpg 000_0503.JPG

sorry for going on about my history, with Rusty.

9. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Thanks man,i'm keeping a lookout for reasonable suspension forks with 1" threaded steertubes(in a workable length) but they only come with new bikes & second hand forks by themselves are rare.
    I've got a nice pair of Rock Shox(Judy C's) but the steertube is 1,1/8" and it's pressed-on high tensile steel.
    I'll probably finish up canabilizing the steertube on the 1" forks and put them on the Rock Shox but i was interested to see if someone had done it before me & what their method was.
    Assuming i can't get what i want i'll go ahead with this idea i'll post pics.

BTW...i like Rusty.

10. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Not hard to do at all. The hardest part is to find the right size. Do you know the tube length you need ? I may have one that will work.

11. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Taa for the offer Esteban.....IF i go ahead with this idea(which i probably will) my plan is to use the original 1" mild steel steertube & slot it through the new 1,1/8" Rock Shox forks with a spacer to keep everything tight.I'll then either braze or silver soulder the parts in place(underneath the fork crown,which is aluminium) & probably place a small pin through everything so nothing can move.
    The thing i like about doing it this way is that u get superior forks with v-brakes.......their will be a height adjustment but nothing's perfect.
    P1010109.jpg

12. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Thread & cut off the excess, CAREFULLY.

13. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Rock Shox for Cruiser bike,now with fork stem reduced to 1"...machined from a single piece high-tensile steel,then press fitted. :D

Before:
    before.jpg

After:
    after.JPG
    p1010148.JPG

14. azbill

azbill Active Member

nice job :cool2:

15. Irish John

Irish John Guest

16. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

John,i'de truely love to take credit for this masterpiece but it's WAY beyond my capabilities,either with tools or knowledge of how to use said tools.
    My involvement was limited to taking the old fork stem out of the Rock Shox & doing 3 trips down to the Engineering firm(KLM Engineering) to get it right(finished-up perfect)
    I did a detailed diagram & talked with the actual machinist...also showing him the standard unsprung Electra forks & described EXACTLY what i wanted.
    It's on the Electra now,costing A$130 but the engineer/machinist who did it said it took 3.5 hrs...not bad value.
    From the top it has a wall thickness of 1.6mm going down for 130mm then widening out to 4mm for the remaining length.....this is necessary for the steering mounting system.
    Thanks man but i'll pass on the chrome springer forks,the only thing i'm interested in at the mo is a descent 4-stroke tranny.

17. Irish John

Irish John Guest

I see now. You used another piece of fork tube and got it machined to fit as per the original Electra fork tube but to fit on a Rock Shock fork? Is that correct?
    I'd like a good tranny too but the EZM isn't available in Oz and I don't want the chinese engine that comes with it. The Grubee G4 is only for Huasheng motor at this point in time and I don't trust it anyway cos they don't test their kits (they let us do that) and even when they get a version of the G4 for Hondas it will still probably not be geared quite right. Remember these are the guys who for over 2 years thought a 56T sprocket was the best size - they just couldn't have tested it for even a 2 hour ride.

18. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

I ride "The Dragon Lady" every day to work. Every time I mount her I am grateful for the ROCKSHOX suspension fork first, and THEN its awesome power.:devilish:

19. happycheapskate

happycheapskate Active Member

I am looking to put a mountain bike shock on my beach cruiser mo bike.

I am anticipating someone finding good shocks to fit, or a conversion headset.

RST is kind of ugly looking to me, and doesn't seem to have impressive controls or damping (just a basic fork). They have new ones for 1" threaded sets though. I hope you can find one cheaper than this
    $150 http://www.amazon.com/RST-T6-Suspen...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1260862316&sr=1-2

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  20. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Member

I put a set of Shocks on a huffy cruiser , but its far from stock when I got done with it. Had to weld a stolen head piece from a schwinn mountain bike that excepted the thread less design its a bigger tube. There are threaded ones out there. I am sure have seen much though in used. The bike shops can order them I am sure.

I would be scared using one from a kids bike. Don't know how strong they are. But I stand above six' 250 pounds that would be why. A good set of forks should last a very long time. I not a stunt man just a cruiser. So might not no. Never Broke a set never tried. Don't like my chin over the front tire.

Attached Files: