Suspension fork on beach cruiser?

Not hard to do at all. The hardest part is to find the right size. Do you know the tube length you need ? I may have one that will work.
Taa for the offer Esteban.....IF i go ahead with this idea(which i probably will) my plan is to use the original 1" mild steel steertube & slot it through the new 1,1/8" Rock Shox forks with a spacer to keep everything tight.I'll then either braze or silver soulder the parts in place(underneath the fork crown,which is aluminium) & probably place a small pin through everything so nothing can move.
The thing i like about doing it this way is that u get superior forks with v-brakes.......their will be a height adjustment but nothing's perfect.
P1010109.jpg

Rock Shox for Cruiser bike,now with fork stem reduced to 1"...machined from a single piece high-tensile steel,then press fitted. :D

Before:
before.jpg

After:
after.JPG
p1010148.JPG

Rock Shox for Cruiser bike,now with fork stem reduced to 1"...machined from a single piece high-tensile steel,then press fitted.

That's great Fetor and to your usual sublime engineering standard I see. A single piece of HT steel tubing - what wall thickness and where do you get the tubing?
Would you make me one for a price?
Is that for your Electra? Would you like a chrome springer fork with a v-brake bosses?

John,i'de truely love to take credit for this masterpiece but it's WAY beyond my capabilities,either with tools or knowledge of how to use said tools.
My involvement was limited to taking the old fork stem out of the Rock Shox & doing 3 trips down to the Engineering firm(KLM Engineering) to get it right(finished-up perfect)
I did a detailed diagram & talked with the actual machinist...also showing him the standard unsprung Electra forks & described EXACTLY what i wanted.
It's on the Electra now,costing A$130 but the engineer/machinist who did it said it took 3.5 hrs...not bad value.
From the top it has a wall thickness of 1.6mm going down for 130mm then widening out to 4mm for the remaining length.....this is necessary for the steering mounting system.
Thanks man but i'll pass on the chrome springer forks,the only thing i'm interested in at the mo is a descent 4-stroke tranny.

I see now. You used another piece of fork tube and got it machined to fit as per the original Electra fork tube but to fit on a Rock Shock fork? Is that correct?
I'd like a good tranny too but the EZM isn't available in Oz and I don't want the chinese engine that comes with it. The Grubee G4 is only for Huasheng motor at this point in time and I don't trust it anyway cos they don't test their kits (they let us do that) and even when they get a version of the G4 for Hondas it will still probably not be geared quite right. Remember these are the guys who for over 2 years thought a 56T sprocket was the best size - they just couldn't have tested it for even a 2 hour ride.

I ride "The Dragon Lady" every day to work. Every time I mount her I am grateful for the ROCKSHOX suspension fork first, and THEN its awesome power.:devilish:

I am looking to put a mountain bike shock on my beach cruiser mo bike.

I am anticipating someone finding good shocks to fit, or a conversion headset.

RST is kind of ugly looking to me, and doesn't seem to have impressive controls or damping (just a basic fork). They have new ones for 1" threaded sets though. I hope you can find one cheaper than this
$150 http://www.amazon.com/RST-T6-Suspen...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1260862316&sr=1-2

Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I put a set of Shocks on a huffy cruiser , but its far from stock when I got done with it. Had to weld a stolen head piece from a schwinn mountain bike that excepted the thread less design its a bigger tube. There are threaded ones out there. I am sure have seen much though in used. The bike shops can order them I am sure.

I would be scared using one from a kids bike. Don't know how strong they are. But I stand above six' 250 pounds that would be why. A good set of forks should last a very long time. I not a stunt man just a cruiser. So might not no. Never Broke a set never tried. Don't like my chin over the front tire.

Attachments

• P1010007.jpg
    P1010007.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 2,025
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 1,707
Back