Suspension fork on older bike

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by geebt48cc, Oct 1, 2010.

1. geebt48cc

geebt48cc Member

Hi guys,

I bought a front suspension fork for the front of my 26" MTB. Question is , it's the right size in everyway but it's just a hair to thick to fit up into frame.

Can I take to a bike shop and have it shaved just very little to work? See, I can't, is it just a nice paper weight?

2. a/c man

a/c man Member

Your older MTB might have a 1" stem on your forks.
    Chances are you trying to shove an 1 1/8" stem into your head tube.
    No you can't shave it down.. Measure the diameters of the 2 fork stems and
    compare them. .... ( Also stay away those cheap Suntour suspension forks.)
    Hope that new paperweight wasn't too expensive. I know your frustration.

3. geebt48cc

geebt48cc Member

Hey Tim,

Darn, appreciate the news. I should of know better........I may put it in a frame, and hang from the wall!~:icon_cry:

4. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

Re: front suspension forks

is this a springer suspension situation? If so, I might buy it from you if the price and shipping is not out of the ballpark.
  5. PatrickW

PatrickW Staff Member

Ah Hah! Sounds like it's Howard to the rescue. I was wondering when someone would offer to buy it off you. You just might have a solution, there!
  6. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Next time you go looking for a suspension fork, take the big nut from the steerer of your original fork with you (or your stem if it's a threadless steerer). If it fits the suspension fork, you have the right steerer diameter.
    If your fork has a threaded steerer, take the whole fork with you. A steerer that is too long won't work because you must add threads, which is close to impossible. I found that out the hard way.
  7. gothicguy64

gothicguy64 Member

ull find that forks come in 3 sizes .

1 inch
    1 1/8 inch
    1 1 /4 inch

if i was u id take ur frame to a bike shop an get them to cut old off an weld on a new 1 1/4 inch headtube .
    then u could upgrade in future .

8. DuctTapedGoat

DuctTapedGoat Member

At a glance I'm skeptical of there only being 3 sizes, but it's too early to dig around on that. Maybe after I smoke my morning cigarette. :)

Anyways. It doesn't sound like it's the right size in every way, or you'd have it installed and you'd be riding it, not posting here about it!

It sucks, but you're either gonna have to get different forks for the bike, or get a different bike for your forks. Are they threaded or uncut? Uncut you should be able to return them or at least resell them. Threaded, well, get a bike for them and sell that, cause you're not reasonably going to sell them threaded. (unless you sell them here on MBc, good luck)

I'm still in the market for a new pair of forks for my old old old full frame StumpJumper. Gooseneck is 7-8 inches believe it or not, it's a beast! Of course, that means I have to get uncut, that I can't get away with going used.

Now, I say this a lot. Spend an afternoon going to used bike shops and thrift shops and see what they have for bikes. Even if only for nothing more than extra parts, bearings, pedals, spokenuts, cables, derailers. But look at their forks, and you might find a whole bike with some decent forks that'll fit for cheaper than forks alone.

As I say, when you throw a 50cc motor between your legs, it's just steel and rubber between you and the road, the sticker's not gonna make that much of a difference.