Switching From Friction Drive to GEBE

Oysterville

Local time
4:32 AM
I've got about 450 miles on a friction drive system and during my first longish (15.5 miles) ride in wet streets it became completely obvious that friction drive was not the way to go, no matter how much pressure I had between roller and tire, and how much feathering I did with the throttle. I need this to take me to work and back, so now I'm looking at taking my Huasheng 48cc 4 stroke and mating it with a GEBE drive kit.

Other than making sure that I have a good rear wheel, is there anything else that I need to know? I'm serious about taking this through the rains of fall and winter, so any help on what I need to know for the conversion would be great.

Thanks.

I am not aware that the Washing engine is compatible with the GEBE kit.
I thought that the mounting bolt pattern is not compatible.
Is there anybody else out there that would know?

Yep, in the rain you are can lose a lot of " gripping " power. Much more pedal assisting is needed. There are some things you can do to help with traction , [ do a search ] but if a person has to commute long distances on one in the rain, I really cannot recommend it.

Oyster,

What FD kit do you have? (I was thinking of getting one.)

I have a hs 4 stroke too, not sure if its compatible. Your best bet is to contact GEBE and ask.

Good Luck! :)

Hi Oyster,

Did you find out about compatability with the HS 4 stroke engine?

How old is your bmp kit? Are you willing to sell it? If so, plz PM with the details)

I know you had a tough time with it. Howd it run with a dry road?

It rains 1/2 the time in florida, but id be a casual rider, and I love idea of ease of installation and serviceability. Is this the case in reality with the BMP FD?

occc;

I live in Fl. & all I have ever had were friction drive. Did very well for me , but as I stated, you have to casually pedal when on level roads & there is rain.

I have tried coating the steel roller with a mixture of JB Weld with granules from a grinding wheel. The grinding wheel was one of those cheap ones from a hardware store that fit in a drill. Cover with a clotch & hammer it to fine grit. Use that in the JB & spread a thin coat on the wheel & allow to dry. Take it easy with this because it is rough on the tire.

Hi Oyster,

Did you find out about compatability with the HS 4 stroke engine?

How old is your bmp kit? Are you willing to sell it? If so, plz PM with the details)

I know you had a tough time with it. Howd it run with a dry road?

It rains 1/2 the time in florida, but id be a casual rider, and I love idea of ease of installation and serviceability. Is this the case in reality with the BMP FD?

I haven't called on it yet, as I haven't got the $$$ just yet to pull the trigger. That and I'm still ruminating on just going the two stroke route and scrapping the whole current project. If I sell, I'll drop you a note.

I have tried coating the steel roller with a mixture of JB Weld with granules from a grinding wheel.

A friend of mine who was a carnie in a past life told me that they used to use Comet on their drive rollers. I told her that it'd last about 100 yards, and that I'd leave a trail of bubbles behind me. :D

Back