Tanaka PF-3300 V-Belt Drive w/Power Pipe

Discussion in 'Rack Mounted Engines' started by lowracer, Mar 10, 2012.

1. lowracer

lowracer Member

I figured it was time to 'thread hop' from my friction drive thread, http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=36749, to this one since I changed over to v-belt drive.
    Today I installed the new power pipe I got on eBay for $39 & it fits perfectly. I can tell that power is improved in the mid to upper range rpm's w/the pipe. The stock little exhaust muffler seems very restrictive probably cause it also has a catalytic converter built into it. I noticed alot more heat coming off the exhaust while running it with the little stock muffler. The new pipe is also surprisingly quiet w/ a deep throaty sound (possibly cause I've grown accustomed to the pocket bike engines which are stupid loud). I havent taken it out for a WOT speed run yet since I want to do a little bit of break in, but so far it feels about the same power as my trusty ole Subaru Robin EH035.
    Here are a few of todays pics.
    -Lowracer-

Attached Files:

2. lowracer

lowracer Member

I took it out for a test spin today w/the new engine & pipe.
    I rev'd it up a bit higher to test higher rpm performance.
    The engine is not broken in yet & only has ~3 miles on it.
    At higher rpm, the engine definitely begins to sing beyond where the stock catalytic canister muffler restricts performance. I dont wanna hurt this sweet little engine by going too hard too soon, but so far I'm happy with the performance & I think its got more on top than the Robin. Hope it gets even better once broken in (as I've heard these Tanakas do). Not a bad powerplant for $89 + $39 for the pipe...Now I only wish I bought a few more engines while they were available for $89
    -Lowracer-

3. occchopperfl

occchopperfl Member

Nice!

I wish I bought one to keep, (I sold the two I bought.)...

4. lowracer

lowracer Member

occchopperfl,
    I took it out for a 65 mile ride (took it to work) & got a chance to really test this puppy out. I was amazed at the top end of the Tanaka 32cc...
    Getting tucked in low, I was able to hit & maintain 40 mph for as long as I wanted to stay tucked in.
    The pipe definitely allows this engine to get into its powerband & changes the personality of this little engine. I think this pipe is a must have for all those who purchased the Tanaka PF-3300 on Amazon recently for $89...
    I really had fun with this bike today & now I'm on a mission to either find a relatively inexpensive front fairing bubble from a motorcycle or recumbent windscreen manufacturer or make one myself out of Coroplast (ugly) to mount onto the handlebar/forks.
    When I got home from my MB adventure, the 2 additional MSR tanks were in my mailbox along with 2 (of the 4) handlebar mounted water bottle cages I won on eBay. Good thing too since I ran out of fuel with about 1 mile left till home. What I do is pull over, set the bike up on the centerstand & un-set the V-Belt. Then I tie the V-Belt up in two locations to the bike frame using two velcro staps that I keep strapped onto the bike seatpost at all times for just such an occasion.
    The added MSR tanks will get me further down the road, now I just need some sun screen (got sun-burned...lol)
    P.S. -I used 42 oz of fuel for the 65 miles=198 mpg's....not too shabby!-
    -Lowracer-

5. occchopperfl

occchopperfl Member

Very Cool Lowracer! :)

Sigh... Now I want to buy the engine (again) for my next build...

Did you make your own "GEBE" Kit?

And can you take some closeups of the belt/ ring/ rim?

Thanks!

6. lowracer

lowracer Member

7. Stoney

Stoney Member

Looking good. I bought 2 of those engines. Can you give the link to get a pipe for those who may want one?:detective:

8. lowracer

lowracer Member

Stoney,
    Go on eBay & type into search, "Bladez Pipe"
    The one I got was $39 + shipping & very nice quality made specifically for the BladeZ scooters (Tanaka brand).
    If you wanna part with one of the engines, I'd be up to buying one from you?
    -Lowracer-

9. lowracer

lowracer Member

I mounted up some MSR bottles today to the frame instead of the handlebars. This should get me further down the road between fill-ups. 60 oz on the bike & 20 oz in the tank should get me well over 100 miles.
    I am loving this fuel economy.
    I also installed a small 90 degree copper elbow pipe on the exhaust to better direct the fumes back & away from my body. I noticed the other day in the wind that my shirt was all smelly like 2-stroke...This seems to help.
    -Lowracer-

Attached Files:

10. Mike St

Mike St Member

It appears your method of making a sheave eleminates V-brakes. So what do yo do for rear brakes?

11. lowracer

lowracer Member

Mike St,
    I use front v-brakes only on this bike & another of my MB's (friction drive) & 2 of my pedal road bikes.
    My other MB has two disc brakes & stops better.
    This bike being lighter & slower still has excellent stopping power with just one well set up front v-brake. There is also a fair degree of engine braking before the centrifugal clutch disengages. On road going vehicles, front brakes do most of the braking due to weight shifting forward upon braking. I previously had a rim-to-rim pulley front drive & was still able to mount a v-brake on it (just enough clearance).
    -Lowracer-

12. Mike St

Mike St Member

It's just my opinon, but a smaller sheave that leaves room a v brake makes more sense to me, but you're the inventor. It's your choice.

13. lowracer

lowracer Member

I've been putting on the mileage lately & have noticed very different fuel economy readings.
    When I was doing the break-in, I didnt take it up to WOT at all & just basically cruised around & returned 190 mpg's.
    Yesterday, I took it out for a 92 mile work day & did run it at WOT some of the time but not all the time & returned 157 mpg's.
    Today I took it out again for a long haul on faster roadways & has to run it at WOT most of the 76 miles just to keep from getting blown by at ludicrous speed differentials & got 131 mpg's.
    -lowracer-

14. Little Thumper

Little Thumper New Member

Hey Lowracer... That makes sense....Cruizin at WOT is not good for mileage..:grin5: Cool ride!!...Btw.. Im going to build a V belt direct drive using your design on a tandem Schwinn from the 60's with a little Echo 23CC thats been ported and a expansion chamber..The little motor looks trick!! I love your belt drive.......:idea:

15. lowracer

lowracer Member

Little Thumper,
    Thanks bro.
    You will like the v-belt drive. Its very efficient, reliable, smooth & clean.
    I have loads of miles on 2 of them now & no worriesd about belt replacement. I'll bet I'll never need to replace the belts.
    -Lowracer-

16. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Lowracer, all of your builds are AWESOME!

Thanks for experimenting.

17. lowracer

lowracer Member

5-7,
    Thanks for the kind words.
    This hobby sure is addicting & makes 'cents' as gas prices keep increasing.
    At first I built one for just fun & the occasional trip to the post office or to grab a burrito.
    Now I've built & have 3 & use them on nicer weather days to replace the car & do my job.
    It sure does change a boring day into an adventure being out on the motorbike. At the places I stop, also makes for quite the conversation piece.
    I'm having fun...
    -Lowracer-

Attached Files:

18. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Which is your favorite?:detective:

19. lowracer

lowracer Member

5-7,
    My favorite by a longshot is 'The Beast'.
    In the previous pic, its the full suspension Rocky Mountain RM7 downhill MTB with the front mounted Pocketbike stage 2 cag engine. It feels & rides more like a small motorcycle than it does an MB.
    Downhill MTB's are the way to go for an MB project.
    -Lowracer-