Tanaka pf4000 powered tadpole trike

AltonKeel

Local time
5:43 AM
I just finished putting together a kmx typhoon tadpole trike with a staton axle mount chain drive with a tanaka 40 cc two stroke. The bike came with 16 in fronts and a 20 in rear, I used a 26 in rear from staton and put maxxis hookworms all the way around.

Here are some pics in my intro thread

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=36634

Last edited:
Pictures

here are some pictures

Attachments

• trike1.jpg
    trike1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 824
  • trike2.jpg
    trike2.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 835
  • trike3.jpg
    trike3.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 892
Last edited:
So I've had the chance to break in the trike a bit and here is my first impression.

Handling- The KMX with hookworm tires has extremely fast and precise handling , ok i'd even go so far as to say twitchy. I may put a steering damper on it . I did that to my last trike and it helped a lot . By using the Staton axle mount kit the center of gravity is low and the trike oversteers without any tendency to roll. It is light though and you wouldn't have to slide into much of a ripple to high side it.

Propulsion - I really like the Staton axle mount chain drive system. The mount is low and very rigid . It will take all the horse power I dare to mount to it. I've started with a tanaka pf-4000. I have a 47r in storage somewhere in a another state but this will do for now. I did order the 15mm carb and a stalker free flowing muffler for it. I really like the tanaka, the bottom end is really well built. I need to work out a pipe that fits this bike , mount combination.

I really wish that I could figure out a way to drive a nuvinci hub through the transmission from the left side. That would let me build a peaky engine and get it to the ground.

a picture of my first trike

here is a picture of the sun with the tanaka 47r on it

I put a tall gear on it and went to a deserted long perfectly flat road in central florida and clocked 73 mph on it.

Attachments

• rs0018b.jpg
    rs0018b.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 850
The install was a breeze, just had to drill three holes in the mount, two to mount the torque bar and one to attach the plate to the chain stay. The rest was not much more than a rear tire change. The mount ensures chain alignment to the gearbox so no tedious adjustments like the rack mount.

Gotcha, tell me more about acceleration, comfortable cruising speed and top speed. How loud is the engine at cruising speed? Is the sound uncomfortable?

How loud is the gearbox? What is peddling like with the engine off? Sorry for so many questions.

Top speed about 35 mph should add a bit more with the carb and silencer.
As far as sound it's a weed eater ,but I ride with my motorcycle helmet with built in headphones so I don't notice. It pedals like stock you don't notice the motor. It will pull from a dead stop and acceleration is ok but should be better when the engine breaths better

This ones not really for performance but I would like a little better acceleration

If I want speed I ride my 170 hp turbocharged canam Spyder :)

That is great news. I bought the kit for my Sunray SX and hope to install it soon. It looks so simple to operate and hides better than a rack or frame mount from the profile

Back